• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bubbles Vets Office Update!

BubbleBee

Warren Scout
I just got home from the vets office with Bubbles,:lol: everything was going well. She weighs 4lbs :love: not sure how much that is in stones, but o well. Then I found out somthing that shocked me...Bubbles is a BOY rabbit :shock:
for almost 2 years I though he was my little girly bunny :( But I will still love him no matter what gender he is. So after my shock.. the vet gave him a shot of somthing (dont know how to spell it) and a syringe full of some medicine to mix into her water bottle. Im going to check his sister Muffin in a min to see if shes infact a female. The freaking breeder said they were both sisters.. oh well, atleast my little bunny boy will be okay :)

But yes, this was a very weird day :roll: :oops:

Now im going to have to think of a new name for him, for about 2 years is been Bubbles :lol:

hi

if he's getting better that's the main thing :D

I would guess if Muffin's a girls she would have had many babies by now, so possibly you have brothers - best get the vet to check :shock:

Bubbles is a great name for a boy bunny I think - shorten it to Bub?

Don't worry about the name too much - I named one of my boy buns Mary, and I knew he was a boy :lol:

Karly said:
Don't worry about the name too much - I named one of my boy buns Mary, and I knew he was a boy :lol:

well thats just odd!

as long as he is happy thats all that matters!

oh and BUB is a great name for a boy.

lol But he seems to be getting a little better, I haven't seen any droppings yet. But I got him to take a couple bites out of a banana chunk lastnight.

And the vet showed me how to sex a rabbit, so I checked muffin lastnight.....and it looks like we have brothers :lol: :lol: And they haven't lived together for a long time, were gonna get them fixed in Jan. or Jeb. and then work on getting them back together, Ive been reading books on how to do that with the same sex. So I hope it works.

But yes :lol: I still love the little boogers the same as I did.

hi

If you take them both at the same time and recover them in a cage together, you won't break their bond anyway - If they are happy together and no trouble with peeing everywhere or aggression though, I wouldn't bother neutering them - just check that they are both definitely boys! :shock:

Meanwhile you may need to hold the sipper bottle next to Bub's mouth if he's not drinking - Did the vet give him fluids as well as medicine? They need to keep the gut contents moist so they pass through, so it's easy for them to get dehydrated if they stop drinking - here's a good article on stasis (which is what Bub has) - It's important to nurse him as this is a serious problem with bunnies - hope he gets well soon!

When Zinneia had an attack of this I made her a mixture of a crushed raspberry flavour rennie rapize tablet (for human indigestion) some probiotic (which your vet may have given you?) and a soluble asprin, in quarter of a cup of water, and used a syringe like it describes in this article - she perked up after an hour, with just a few little drinks of this :)

http://www.mybunny.org/info/gi_stasis.htm

Back