• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

ALFIE HAS JUST PULED OUT HIS STITCHES!

**Bonnie**

Mama Doe
just had to take Alfie to the emergency vet as he as tugging on his stitches..he is being kept in overnight and they have to restitch him.

Has this happened to anyone else?? they are going to put a funnel around him after for a week. I knew he was going to do this as he nibbles everythng.

Im starting to regret getting him done an have been in tears - its going to be expensive too..can you pay of vet blls monthly??

thanks all

bonnie

Kovu pulled out his, they had to be redone and then he had to have cone, but I'd heard that they weren't good for bunnies, if I left him for five mins and go back it was round his belly, he kept misjudging the doors and runing into them. He'd of been better in the vets overnight.

Alfie will be ok :D

aww dont feel guilty, you did it for all the right reasons, he will be ok, there have been other bunnies here do it and they are ok now...naughty bunnies!!

oh no!

silly boy. i can't imagine how guilty i would feel.

look on the bright side of what having him done will mean and try to stay positive.

the funnel will only be on for a week which i know will probably feel like forever.

i'm not sure about the vet fees, perhaps you could speak with your vet and see if they can arrange a payment plan, i'm sure they would be understanding.

we booked atom in with frances today. he has had his mixie jab and she has arranged to do his N on friday. i've warned work to keep me so busy that i'm distracted because i know i'll be worrying about him all day - i cried when i took bump to be S.

i hope everything turns out for you both and i look forward to hearing all the news soon.

hang in there both of you and try not to feel too bad bonnie.

all the best.

He's a boy? I won't bother with stitches just get the wound glued closed. Or did they take them out through his abdomen? Because they don't pull like girls where they're strtched across their tummy they usually heal really quick.

Tam

Yes claude did it!
He had to stay in over night to be re stiched and came home with a lampshade on!
He ended up getting an infection where he had pulled the stiches so he had to wear his lampshade for about 2 weeks!
the only prob is they cant clean themselfs or eat there soft pellets while wearing one.i ended up buying two collars so i had a spare while i was washing poo off the other!

Yes Dudley pulled all his stitches out too - but it stayed closed over so they didn't restitch him. You really won't regret the decision to get him neutered in a couple of weeks time when he is all healed and you can start thinking about getting him a girlfriend!

Dougal ripped his out before I even went to pick him up, the vet nurse didn't notice until she went to get him for me, I had to wait for ages not knowing what was going on! They didn't tell me! I was getting quite worried! They glued him back together in the end so he couldn't pull any more stitches out! He does love to nibble!

I don't think Ted actually pulled on his, although I had to take him back as his insides looked like they were going to fall out, the vet thought the stitch popped open.

My buns = Nightmare!

SOAD said:
Kovu pulled out his, they had to be redone and then he had to have cone, but I'd heard that they weren't good for bunnies, if I left him for five mins and go back it was round his belly, he kept misjudging the doors and runing into them. He'd of been better in the vets overnight.

Alfie will be ok :D

I know it must have been frusterating, but thinking about the poor little thing bumping into doors...! It might be awful, but I kinda laughed a bit when I pictured it in my mind. :oops:

My simba didnt have any stitches after he was neutered.. just two little slits that i think they had glued together. Nothing to chew on! I hope little Alfie is ok and behaves himself. As has been said before if they were a lampshade collar they cant eat their caeco poops or wash their bottoms etc so would be nicer if they can just glue it. If it is a wound in his abdomen and needs stitching ask them to do intradermal stitches which are stitched inside so again there is nothing for them to chew out. Hurry home Alfie

Rowan and Cherry were both glued. Good thing too as they both kept messing and licking down there. Cherry still has sore patches three weeks later although the actual wounds have healed. He was done at the pet vaccination clinic and they did a right botch job, just sort of modged his skin together in a lump :? Actually I wonder if he pulled his stitches and they did that later :? It was such a mess. I am never using them again :x

Collars are not a good idea for rabbits as they need to eat their caecotrophs. Maybe you could suggest they glue him instead? It is quite standard these days.

Whatever they do I hope it goes well and the silly boy leaves himself alone.

Hi everyone, well no news from the vet so he must be ok!!

They stitched him last night so i couln't suggest he be glue. i have to g to work today- already id a sicky Friday for Alfie an can again so he will stay at my vets all ay. At least they can keep an eye on him.

I feel sick today ..my poor little man.

Im so worrie abou this funnel. Can they still clean their faces with their paws???

Also, his hutch has a ramp..will he be able to go up an down it with a funnel on?? I coul keep him inside for a few ays but where he is used to alot of freedom he will have to be locked in a medium sized cage all ay when im at work as he will not be able to be free range unless i put him in the hall???

bonnie

hi

Oh no poor Archie :(
I thought the vet would have used invisible stitches or glue, knowing what chewers rabbits are - silly vet :?

Hope he gets sorted today and doesn't have to wear a collar - is he living indoors now?

well he got aken to the emergency vet (not mine) who didnt say anything about invisible stices, apparently he has internal stitches.

Im picking him up later at 6 ann will prob have no choice but to keep him in his indoor cage for a week...its quite small though :cry:

Hiya
they cant clean anything with them on,i kept claude in his cage for a few days untill he had healed i used to take his lampshade off so he could have a quick wash but he would go straight for his stiches!

Naughty boy Alfie!! :roll: :roll: Bonnie dont forget my offer re 'Alfie-sitting'. :D I am not too sure about the 'lamp-shade' collars for buns..... :? If Alfie has internal stiches he wont be able to nibble them out!! Also, could you ask if he could have a dose of anti-inflammatory medication...?? He wont be 'in pain' exactly but his poor 'bits' will be a little swollen and bruised. This will draw his attention to them too so maybe a couple of days pain relief may help...?? Re Vets fees: most Vets need a pre-arrangement from clients wanting to pay for treatment in monthly instalments. There is no harm in asking..... Alfie will be fine and he'll soon be on the look out for that girlfriend :wink: :wink: Jane and Bunsxx

Hi Jane,

thanks for your offer re Alfie sitting...am really tempted top take you up on that offer (have loads of rabbit toys that Alfie doesn;t go near you could have!) as i am really worried about me being at work all day and him being stuck in a cage getting irritated with this bloody lampshade!

I just called the vet and she said he is eating and is fine, my usual vet is picking him up to take him back to Kingston and im going at 6.20 to get him.

I will ask them about the anti-inflammatory - good idea!!

There was a bit of blood on the carpet this morning and i burst in to tears - boyfriend thinks im over-reacting!! bloody men!

Thanks Jane

Bonnie

Alfie kennedy said:
Hi Jane,

thanks for your offer re Alfie sitting...am really tempted top take you up on that offer (have loads of rabbit toys that Alfie doesn;t go near you could have!) as i am really worried about me being at work all day and him being stuck in a cage getting irritated with this bloody lampshade!

I just called the vet and she said he is eating and is fine, my usual vet is picking him up to take him back to Kingston and im going at 6.20 to get him.

I will ask them about the anti-inflammatory - good idea!!

There was a bit of blood on the carpet this morning and i burst in to tears - boyfriend thinks im over-reacting!! bloody men!

Thanks Jane

Bonnie
Well, your B/F might think differently if it were HIS bits that had been snipped... :shock: :shock: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: Jane and Bunsxx

Awww poor little man!
I'm glad he's okay, he'll be all healed up in no time!

Bf always thinks I'm over reacting what with the dogs and the bunny.. but when HE'S ill.. well it's the end of the world!! MEN! :roll: :lol:

Back