• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Overwweight bunny help please

tomjacob

Banned
I have a dwarf Dutch called Jacob. He is overweight. He is now confined to one room after single handedly destroying my house, cables, fireplaces, phone leads, cooker lead, weeing over carpets to destruction point etc.
Since being banished to one room he is alot cleaner, the odd miss though all urine hits the two trays he has so great for me. There are no cables in Jacobs room so safe too, it is sunny, has a single bed, a pine one so heaps of room underneath and enough space for him to run, do laps etc. He is happy.
He has been attending the weightwatchers at vets, just been and heavier than ever been, weight gain each time. He has Russel Rabbit reduced as per instructions of vet via RR HQ. I got him diet food, he didn't eat. he nibbles a bit of hay, every kind he has including Timothy. He has foraging hay too, not touched. He has treat balls which I put food in, not interested unless treats in it.
He eats alot of greenstuff, a variety to include dandelion leaves, cat grass, cabbage, kalde, sprouting brocolli, parsley, a bit of apple no pips or core, a bit of banana or a grape seedless, not a fan of carrots will eat tops, nor brocolli.
I do my best but he gets fatter. He also has a damaged nerve in his face and I fear less sight and hearing on that side so if I take him out he is afraid and runs back in. He cannot go back to the house house as i rent from Mum and she went mad at the mess, i still have floorboards in some places as carpet got too damaged.
Any help please, the nurse said to reduce food more and exercise more but I don't know what to do. he will run around the house but i really can't let him due to the damage. i feel so awful for that, i want him to have fredom but he is so messy when he has total freedom and I like having a clean house and not poo on my socks that I've walked in all the time!

Cruel to be kind is the answer.
I recently posted on here because I was looking after an obese rabbit for a friend whilst they were away - I cut out her mix food completely and only gave her a tiny bit of veg each day along with as much hay as she could eat and made her work for that too.
I would cut out all fruit - very high in sugar and cut out the mix too - maybe hand feed him a tiny bit as a treat but other than that nothing. See how he goes. Re. the exercise - it sounds as though he has quite alot of space - how about introducing some different levels into his room or some tunnels. Is he neutered? If so, a lady friend would encourage him to be more active.

I would def second cutting out his mix, Fern tends to hog all the pellets and so when she is looking a little bit chubby we cut right back and just give donny a few from our hand, she happliy makes up the extra with hay

if you have a hallway maybe you could give him supervised time there so he can build up some speed, even though our buns have a room of their own they don't run at the speed they do when they can sprint up and down the hallway.

I think a friend would help as our two play ith each other all the time

It's difficult isn't it :) Rabbits are very good at wrapping us around their little paws and then making us worry about them on top of it!

Julie and Leanne have given you some verry good advice. You've got the basics of his diet down you just need to be firm with him. Which food did you try him on? Supreme science selctive is quite good (by the same people that make russel rabbit) or you could also try excel lite. I orginally fed russel and mine seemed happy enough with the supreme instead.

Just feeding hay sounds drastic but won't do him any harm for a couple of weeks, if that feels too drastic for you including a tablespoon of pellets per day tops.

The treatball was a good idea, on a similar vein you could try leaving his food in different places around the room to encourage him to move around more. Chuck out that food bowl :) Put his food on top on things so he has to jump (if he's very overweight just a few inches high to start with) up turned litter tray, boxes etc. You can also put food under things or int hem so he has to shove them around to get at it.

You could also hang up his hay/veggies so he has to stretch to reach them.

Tam

Back