• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sore Eye Any ideas

Debs2811

Alpha Buck
After my hubby finished cleaning out the buns last night I gave them all their usual bowl of veg and later returned to give them some apple when I noticed Jessies left eye was looking a bit weird, :( on closer inspection it looked quite red and weird right in the centre of the eyeball and the eye seemed slightly swollen and seemed to be slightly protruding. She didnt seem in any discomfort and was acting quite normal, :? coming forward for attention and hopping around, even doing her usual chasing of Petey to try and steal his apple :lol: , I left her to eat in peace and checked her a little while later, she was happy for me to touch around the top of the eye but flinched if i touched beneath the eye, when i picked her up out of her run she was as cuddly as ever but the eye looked quite glassy, looking similar to the effect that cataracts can look on humans (if this would give you a better idea ) When i picked her up i did notice her nails were a it long (will be cutting them tonight) so im not sure if she has scratched her eye with her claws of if Petey and her have had a bit of a fight as I did hear alot of noise after i fed the veg as they have stainless steel light feeding bowls and tend to throw them around arfter they finish their veg.

Is there anything which i should do for her?, should i bathe it, there is no discharge atall, i do have some eye drops which Twinkle had for a slight eye infection, would they help or is it best to have a vet look?
When I checked this morning, the apparent swelling had gone down quite alot as I did do Reiki healing on her last night, which does seemed to have helped a little.

Any ideas greatfully received

Thanks x

I'd take her to the vets, just in case it's the onset of Myx, just to be on the safe side. I'm paranoid when my buns eyes look odd, :lol:

MYXI!!!!!!

All my bunnies are house buns and since the colder wet weather has set in they hate going outside so they happily have a run round in the kitchen.........all the buns are vaccinated so could Myxi really be a possibility????

Well it's proabably not, I think buns can still get Myx once vaccinated, but it's surviable. I wouldn't take too much notice of me, but there just seems loads of it about lately.

It could be conjuctivitus, Marley gets that quite a lot, because his one eye is deformed, but he gets a bit of discharge with it.

Ok when taking her to the vets should i take her with Petey or is she best going on her own??? Im just wondering, I know its always best if 2 buns are bonded to do vet visits together but our car is currently broken down, so the vets will have to be a bus trip and as the vets is 2 buses to get their im thinking of the weight of carrying both bunnies. Also should i cover the carrier as its quite open with them being house buns their are not really used to the cold!!!????? Also will the journey be ok or will it be too stressful????

Oh My God, that's quite a trip. I'd take one on their own as you'll have no arms left by the time you get there. Could you not just ring and ask their advice over the phone. I didn't mean to worry you. I am terrible for worrying about things, if one of my buns sneezes I automatically think pasturella. I'm a worry wort.

Dont worry you havnt totally freaked me out :lol: :lol:

Ok ive just phoned the vet and the receptionist is going to get the vet to call me at the end of surgery.

Just been to check on Jessie, shes still a happy hoppy bun, no sign of discomfort or anything!!!!

Lets hope my Reiki is continueing to keep her comfortable and (hopefully) not in pain. Well it seemed to work for Louis lets hope i have a good result with Jess too!!! Fingers crossed :D

hi

this is exactly what happened to Maa a few weeks ago - like you I don't have a car and it's a nightmare of a trip to the vets, and she wasn't in any pain (although the vet insists she must have been) - A rabbit in pain doesn't carry on as normal, eating like a hog and playing with the others I don't think - so I didn't think there was any hurry to get to the vets while she was pain free, and didn't want to split her from the group....

Anyway - turned out it was glaucoma and a corneal ulcer - probably from being kicked by another bunny in the feeding scrum - She had the eye removed and is now fine, but it cost over £200! The vet said if I'd brought her in straight away they might have been able to save the eye, but she wasn't sure about that - What I read on the internet said that glaucoma is very hard to treat and they end up losing the eye usually, so I said I didn't want to try weeks of treatment and just wanted the eye removing so she could get on with life.

The quicker you get her to the vets the better though - some cream might be all she needs - hope so!

Dont like the sound of the eye slightly protruding, ive had rabbit like this and two turned out to have a retrobella abcess [ abcess behind the eye] :(. What ever youve noticed a difference and are going to get your rabbit to the vet. Hope it turns out to be not to bad. val

Back