• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

New and have a few questions

Quinn

Mama Doe
Hi all

I bought Quinn my Dwarf Lop baby a couple of weeks ago now, he lives outside in his hutch and seems to have settled in well, hes just had his Myxo vaccine and he was a little angel at the vets......

He doesnt usually like being caught in his hutch, which i understand as i know rabbits dont like being picked up, although hes great once you get him in the house and in his pen he is really easy to pick up.

So, after going to the vets where i saw how he picked up the rabbit ive been a bit more confident and more willing to get him out even when hes hiding in the corner, is that ok? Obviously if i think hes getting stressed i stop and leaving him, but since watching the vet and getting more confidence ive been catching him quicker.

Also what is the best way to make him less jumpy,hes fine on your lap but can still sometimes be quite jumpy, is it just a matter if time and him getting used to us? we have only had him for 2 weeks after all

It will just take time for him to get to know you! At the moment your doing everything right so keep at it, he will come round with time X

if he backs into a corner when i try and get him out should i still try and get him or leave him? because i think hes worked out i cant actually catch him from there

Still try to pick him up but i would try tempting him out of the corner with food first X

Dont let him think he can stop you picking him up, dosent sound like his frightened. The more you pick him up the better he will get. Wanting to jump of your lap means he wants to have a run round and is fed up of sitting there :lol: .He sounds fine. val

I tend to agree with Val, pick him up even if he really doesn't want you to but try to make it a brief pleasant experience for him.

Lavender was like this when she first came to live with us, so I picked her up a few times a week to start with and it might literally just be for 10 seconds or so, then put her down and gave her a treat. I gradually did it more frequently and for longer - now she gets picked up every day just for a brief time, we check her bum, teeth, ears and eyes then put her down again - she doesn't kick anymore, and sits waiting for her treat. Its true conditioning to food but it works, it means that we check her health daily and she's building up more and more trust in us, and as long as we give her healthy treats (a nut, sprig of brocolli, carrot top etc etc) then its ok.

Oh, one other thing, when I first started this if she kicked I wouldn't put her down, I only put her down when she was being calm and getting lots of fuss from us. My aim was to teach her that having a strop wasn't going to work - I paid the price tho, both Steve and I had some lovely war wounds for a few months!

Back