• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

RSPCA seeks homes for 100 rabbits

SOAD

Wise Old Thumper
RSPCA seeks homes for 100 rabbits

_41054788_rabbits203.jpg

There has been no interest in the sisters, the RSPCA said
The RSPCA in the East of England is seeking new homes for more than 100 rabbits this winter.
Two sisters called Sleet and Storm, who have lived at Block Fen Animal Centre in Cambridgeshire since the summer, are among those who need new homes.

An RSPCA spokeswoman said the sisters, who love to play together, had received no interest from potential owners.

Centres in Buckinghamshire, Leicester, Nottingham and Derbyshire are also overflowing with rabbits, she added.

RSPCA animal welfare manager, Suzie Graham, said: "We urgently need to find homes for the rabbits in our centres so that we can take more in.

"Unfortunately, the rabbit isn't a popular pet at this time of year so we get more unwanted bunnies in and really struggle to re-home them.

"There is often an increase in unwanted rabbits during winter months, possibly as they are often kept as an outdoor pet and owners are deterred from caring for them when it's colder."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/4468116.stm

awwwww bless they are cute too :(

I only wish I lived in a b***dy mansion with acres of land........It breaks my heart to think of ANY bun being 'unwanted' :cry: :cry: . I hope the RSPCA have ammended their PTS policy re Rabbits whom they are not able to re-home. I have taken in several from RSPCA 'death row'...... :cry: :cry: I just feel so inadequate as for every bun I do adopt there are at least another 100 waiting........ :cry: :cry: Jane and Bunsxx

it makes me sick HOW long does it take to feed and clean 1-2 rabbits even when its cold?

i have 20 and it take me thirty minutes,to feed and about 5 hours to clean but if you split that into just one or two it must take 5 minutes to feed and 10 to clean, how selfish can you get! :roll: :roll: :twisted: :evil: :evil:

Yeah it is truely terrible, I alway manage to keep my buns clean and fed. Doesn't the one on the right look like Sophie :shock:

How Awful! It really doesn't take that long to clean and feed! And whats wrong with getting a caot hat and gloves on for half an hour a day!!!!! :evil: :evil: It makes me mad!

bunnylove said:
it makes me sick HOW long does it take to feed and clean 1-2 rabbits even when its cold?

i have 20 and it take me thirty minutes,to feed and about 5 hours to clean but if you split that into just one or two it must take 5 minutes to feed and 10 to clean, how selfish can you get! :roll: :roll: :twisted: :evil: :evil:
Eve I didn't recognise you in your new siggie :shock: :shock: .....WELL SMART :lol: :lol: Jane and Bunsxx

Thing is I have two large spare hutches, ive emailed and phoned the RSPCA in my area and they always fob me off with some excuse, so yknow :shock: :oops:

Lucymuss go to visit one of their centres if you want a bun! you really would be saving a rabbit ...as, I know RSPCA's all differ but , some do put to sleep healthy rabbits if they get a lot in...they can't really do alot else if they only have space for 15 and people dump 25 on them what do they do?! :cry:
My local centre gets so many they don't keep any with behavioural issues or teeth probs, etc..very sad..but then the fault is with the original owners who think they can pass their problem on to someone else.

Gahhh, people really make me angry! Does no-one understand the concept of "responsibility"?!!!!

Why do people seem to think that when their rabbit, or dog or whatever isn't as easy to look after as they'd hoped, that it's no longer their responsibility to care for them? Why don't people research their pets before they get them...learn what a rabbit needs to eat, how much space it needs, how their characters can differ, how long they'll live, how much they'll cost and potential health problems BEFORE you get the poor thing! Why is it that when people discover that their rabbit isn't cuddly and cute all the time, or that it has a mind of it's own and doesn't want to be squeezed to death by their three year old, that they expect someone else to take responsibility for it? When people say, "Oh, she's vicious and bites..."...I'd be vicious and bite if someone tried to drag me out of my house by my rear end while I was clearly terrified. I'd be bloody vicious if I'd been treated like **** in a pet shop then confined to a tiny wooden box at the bottom of the garden for a year. Grrr.

I'd be bloody vicious if I'd been treated like **** in a pet shop then confined to a tiny wooden box at the bottom of the garden for a year. Grrr.

My thoughts too.

Those two are so beautiful such silky fur. How can someone give them up :cry:

When I took on my bunsters I felt honoured that I was responsible for their little lives from this day on. They have certainly changed my life I can't wait to open their hutch door when I run into their bedroom in the morning and I think of them all day whilst I am at work and can't wait to get home to them :) Its all about RESPONSIBILITY and it makes you a better (and caring) person x

Bunnysam said:
Oh I keep looking at their faces :cry:

I know what you mean.

So many people take on rabbits and they just don't understand how much attention they do need and looking after in terms of hygiene and feeding :cry:

It takes me 45 mins to clean out my hutches,but I knew this was a on going job when i had them,its no big deal i put a thick coat on and gloves,I hose the bottom of one hutch that has a run in,its not that difficult as they dont need mucking out as often as in the summer they have made nests and dont poo or wee in that area so i only clean out that part,people find any excuse to give up there pets,these people shouldnt be aloud to have any more!!I wish i had more room,I have four hutches in the garden now!and i often foster in doors with the sick bunnys or ones who need feeding up or need to get used to people

Back