• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

RSPCA investigates rabbit dumping

SOAD

Wise Old Thumper
An investigation is under way after a number of pet rabbits were found dumped on Dartmoor.
The RSPCA said one adult rabbit was struggling to fend off attacking crows when it was rescued from the moors near Yelverton in Devon on Wednesday.

A baby rabbit was also rescued, but another adult was found dead. It is thought there are others on the moors.

The RSPCA is urging anyone with any information about the owners to contact its cruelty line.

'Cold and wet'

It is illegal to abandon an animal in a manner likely to cause suffering.

Dave Marriott told the BBC it has been a really upsetting case for the RSPCA to deal with.

"They are just not built to survive the cold and wet," he said.

"It's a horrible, slow death, it would have been kinder to have them put to sleep if they couldn't rehome them."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/4494522.stm

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Oh that's horrible!!!!!!!!!!

And I bet they never find out who dumped them.

Poor little things out there, all alone.. they didn't do anything to deserve that. :( :(

That is soooo awful. :( I was on Dartmoor yesterday, and it's certainly no place for a pet bunny to survive. :evil: :( :evil: :( :evil: :(

Hopefully a bit of publicity like this will make people think twice before dumping animals - if not for the sake of the animals, then because they think the RSPCA are out there hunting them down! *sigh* well I can dream :cry:

we used to see loads of clearly domesticated rabbits in sutton park until the myxi hit a few years ago. Dumping is most likely common in areas such as mine as there are no rescues close to us and I would imagine alot would rather give the bunny a chance of surviving the wild than give them to the rscpa :wink: :?

I have to admit, I was un-aware of rabbit rescues until I stumbled on rabbit rehome nearly two years ago and thats when I started to talk to the nutty women at rugby :wink:

As being as alot of rescues are full to bursting at the moment I can imagine that many more will be dumped sadly :(

:lol: nor had I until a year ago, when I decided I wanted a boyf for Beatrix, somone said can you get a rescue, I actualy said nah you can't get rabbits in rescues, but I had a look on the net and found RR. So glad I did as I would of missed out on lovleyMarley :love: ahem and all my other buns :oops:

Like I say everytime :cry: , when is this going to end? :cry: :cry: :cry:

It is illegal to abandon an animal in a manner likely to cause suffering.

Isn't it illegal to abandon any animal at all??? That sentence is kind of surprising to me, maybe its just worded wrong :?

xxx

We took in 2 rabbits on xmas eve from the RSPCA inspector that had been dumped on a golf course in Basingstoke. The local RSPCA reception centre said they wouldnt take them :evil: leaving the inspector with the choice of either taking them to be put to sleep or seeing if we could fit them in. I was full (as always), but made space somehow because there was no way I was letting them be put down. They were a tiny baby bunny, perhaps 4 weeks old and an adult female who was not the babies mother. The inspector said there was a third that she couldnt catch.

We went back and to cut a very long story short we have so far collected 6 rabbits off this gold course.....3 four week old babies and 3 adults but we still havent got the mother of the babies. What kind of soul-less person can look into the eyes of a 4 week old baby rabbit and then send it out into the freezing december winter on christmas eve?????.....and what can the RSPCA do???? Nothing.

Makes me feel ill. Anyways, if anyone has any spare money knocking around we are desperate for funds for the poor little critters (sorry...I know we are always begging for funds...but thats running a rescue for you...)

I wish the death penalty still existed in this country.

That is an awful saga for the RSPCA to witness and deal with. I hope the bun finds a new home.

I also had to cringe about the story regarding a cat that was put in a microwave in the Teeside area ... shudders ... I hate people at times ..

I can only say it is more common than people realise I have had 2 rabbits dumped on the estate where I live (obviously the people got the wrong address) and one has come to me but the other had disappeared, what annoys me is why don't people ask rather then dump as if it is that desperate I will make space.
I am lucky with the RSPCA branchs that i deal with they will always give me a call and if I really can't fit them in they take them to the animal hosp for a couple of days get them spayed and then fetch them as that will have allowed me the time to do a move round.
Touch wood so far I havn't refused any of the rspca

People really need to be responsible about pets and make the committment to them

There has been a lot dumped in this area recently. I have taken in several over the last few weeks. This week alone the RSPCA brought me one on Wednesday, one on Thursday and are bringing another pair this weekend :evil: . What upset me the most was they phoned me last week asking if I could take one and at the time I said no because I was expecting 4 guinea pigs to come in on xmas eve. When I spoke to one of the aco's this week she said that they put the bunny to sleep because he had dental problems. It makes me so angry because the guinea pigs never turned up. Had that person bothered to call me to say they werent coming I would have taken the stray bunny, it would have had a dental at my vets and still be alive today :cry: :cry: :cry:

Cheryl

Back