• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

RE: Cecotrophes

greydaze

Warren Scout
RE: Cecotrophes

I think that's what the gooey, stuck-together rabbit poos are called... Anyway, I don't think my little bun ever got a chance to eat them, as he's probably lived on a wire floor his entire life. He is passing both these and the regular, hard pellets, but the thing is, he isn't eating the cecotrophes. This might just be because he isn't used to his new surroundings, but how long should I wait before worrying if he doesn't end up eating them?

They don't eat them everytime. I wouldn't worry just yet, because like you said little Skittles is new and still needs to get used to his/her surroundings. I would just keep an eye on whats going on, so when he/she gets comfortable you can tell. :D Good luck with the new baby!!

xxx

Good advice there :thumb:

I believe they should eat them everytime, but as Skittles is still getting used to his/her new surrounding, I wouldn't worry too much just yet.

Just keep an eye on him/her

Good Luck!

Charliesangel said:
Do they really eat them everytime? Oh, I wasn't aware of that :wink:

xxx

I never see any from most of mine so I guess they do :shock:

Lol, thanks for the advice, guys. I just want my new bunny to be very healthy and happy, and I have so many questions! :lol: I have to try and cover up the back of the front door a bit so he is able to hop in and out in the next few days for short little jaunts. The holes are too big, and he tried stepping on them just to fall through today, poor little guy! :lol: :wink: He's just so little and cute! And very inquisitive.

What's he fed on? Sometimes if a bun doesn't get enough fibre in their diet (e.g. eats too much mix that isn't great fibre-wise) they can leave their caecotrophs. I know several buns when I worked at Notcutts left loads around their cage until they were weaned onto Excel or Science Selective, and it soon stopped happening. If you're feeding him a high fibre pellet (and not too many of them), it may be that he needs a while to adjust - if you're not, then it's worth looking out for some.

hi

Don't make any sudden changes in diet with a baby under 4 months though - changing food needs to be done a very tiny bit at a time as baby rabbits don't have the stomach bacteria that adults have - best not to feed veg for the same reason.

I would guess s/he's just too busy to eat them all at the moment :)

Sorry for the delay in my reply. I had a lot written, pressed "send," and then realized too late that my connection had gone caput. :roll:

My bun is eating timothy hay almost exclusively. I've seen him eating a few pellets twice since last night, but I've seen him in his litter box chowing down on hay at least a dozen times. He's on the same pellets that he had in the pet store (mainly alfalfa based), but like I said, he much prefers his hay. I did give him a little piece of carrot yesterday; Poor little thing didn't know what to do with it! :lol:

On the subject of inquisitiveness... Skittles hopped out of his cage for the first time about two hours ago. He's such a cutie, and wants to explore everything, especially the space beneath my bookshelf! Unfortunately, I haven't finished bunny-proofing, so I had to keep his jaunt short so that he doesn't eat a wire or something plastic (or my landlord's furniture!). :lol: I sweet-talked him and slowly got him to hop over near the cage and put my hand on his little butt to get him to hop in. After I closed the cage door, he pouted at me for 20 minutes, flinging his toys and begging to be let out for more exploring! :lol:

He's started to poo in his litter box quite a bit, which I was totally surprised at! :eek: Yesterday, I noticed his little poos all over the washcloth in the corner, so I put them in the corner of the litterbox he had already pood in, hoping he'd take the hint. And to my astonishment, he hasn't pood on the washcloth again. :lol: Maybe I'm attributing more intelligence to him than he really has, but I think Skittles really is a smart bunny!

Back