• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

When is a bunny classed as old?

linnyloo

Alpha Buck
Stupid question but I was wondering when a bunny was classed as being an older bun?

Skip will be 5 years old next April and wondered if this is old or not? I know Petplan won't insure bunnies over 5 does this mean they will have more health problems? Skip has never had any health problems and I know he has been lucky as bunnies are fragile. :?

i think that bunnies are classed as "senior" from the age of 5 onwards but it does not make sense as so many are living longer now which I think is brilliant :D

look at my dog , he is 14 now but according to the statistics he was old at 7 and should only have lived to about 11 years old . Pets are living longer nowadays - just like humans due to advances in medicine and care etc ..
look at tobys dog benji and toby the bunny , amazing , it really is .

Hiya Natalie
well I guess you are as old as you feel, and this applies to bunnies too :wink: :lol: :lol:
Most bunnies are the more mature ones (avoiding using the word OLD here :lol: ) from around 5 as Gina says :)
Having said that, I have a 9 year old that looks and acts like a 2 year old, and a 4 year old who looks around 9 :roll: :roll: :? :lol: :lol: :lol:
It is very difficult to say WHEN a bunny is old, I guess the signs are they tend to become slower :roll: sleep a wee bit more :roll: and loose a bit of condition in that they look more frail.
Trouble is , illness causes these things to happen too, so dont assume those symptoms are down to old age alone.

I have two 12 year old bunnies who have more energy than most youngsters, so perhaps I should ask them what they consider to be the elixir of life :wink: :lol: :lol:

Insurance companies have to have an age guide line I guess, so they have set it at 5, which is when things can start to go wrong ..just like with humans the older you get, the more chance you have of getting x illness or x condition.
The average age of a bunny is between 5 and 7, so although I personally would not class 5 as old, it is the start of age related decline in many bunnies, but as in humans , this process normally takes several to many years.
I am sure your bunny Skip will continue to enjoy good health well into old age, judging by what a wonderful Bunny Mummy you are to him. :D

Best wishes

loopylop said:
Wow Adele! 12 years old eh!!! That is great!!!!!! :thumb: Bless them! :D

Hiya :D :D The 12 year olds are DEFINATELY old in terms of years, but not in health...they seem to be more lively now, than when they were younger, perhaps they have decided to cast their cares away and make the most of things while they still can :wink: :lol: :lol:
It is odd really, as both bunnies were frail a few years ago when they first came here, I would not have expected either to have lived so long, but so pleased they have :D :D :D
I had one bunny live to 15 many years ago, although she was blind for her final year, she never had any illness just heart failure when she passed on to Rainbow Bridge.

Adele said:
loopylop said:
Wow Adele! 12 years old eh!!! That is great!!!!!! :thumb: Bless them! :D

Hiya :D :D The 12 year olds are DEFINATELY old in terms of years, but not in health...they seem to be more lively now, than when they were younger, perhaps they have decided to cast their cares away and make the most of things while they still can :wink: :lol: :lol:
It is odd really, as both bunnies were frail a few years ago when they first came here, I would not have expected either to have lived so long, but so pleased they have :D :D :D
I had one bunny live to 15 many years ago, although she was blind for her final year, she never had any illness just heart failure when she passed on to Rainbow Bridge.

Wow! That is great that they live so happy for so long! I only hope Sophie will be with me for that long!!!!!

It's good to know bunnies are living longer these days, my last bunny lived until about 9 years but everyone was amazed by that and said it must be a fluke :?

Skip stills seems the same as when he was tiny and is still active so i really hope he could be with me another 10 years.....gosh i would be 36 then!!

Back