• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Painkiller administered at home after spay, good or bad

pain killer given at home after spay

• Good Idea

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bad Idea

• No opinion either way

• Total voters

SOAD

Wise Old Thumper
I notice that a few people are given pain killer by their vet to give to their bunny at home after a spay.

I always think this is such a bad idea, because my vet as led me to believe this. Buns hide pain very well and if they think they aren't in as much pain will push themselves more then they should and do more damage to themselves. My vet always gives a dose of pain killer to buns by injection which last 24 hours and then they are forced to put up with the additional pain, which in turn makes them rest up and mend quicker.

Just out of interest what are your thoughts on pain killer administered at home after a spay?

hi

unfortunately while they rest in pain, they stop eating, which can kill them - if they need to be restricted to heal well, it would be kinder to put them in a smallish cage, about 3x2, for a few days and give them painkillers?

Hiya Tree

I can see both sides of the arguement for and against giving painkillers.
I personally would opt to give Painkiller for first 24 -48 hours as Metacam also reduces inflammation.
I also personally believe painkiller helps the Doe cope with post op stress and shock, by keeping them relaxed :)

After 24-48 hours if bunnies are starting to eat fairly normally and move around, I would stop giving painkiller.
If a bunny is in pain, they very often stop eating, or just pick at their food.

I dont think Painkillers should be used after first 48 hours unless their is specific need (and that need will depend on an individual bunny).one of the Metacam side affects is to interfere in kidney function, and Metacam studies have not been done (as far as I am aware on bunnies , so affects are unknown :?: :?: )
I would opt for painkiller but only for a limited time span :) .
Snugglesafes are good to comfort a bunny after spaying, but please DO NOT USE SNUGGLESAFES if bunny still whoosey from surgery or unable to move around properly, as they may not be able to move off heat source :(

Best wishes

Amber was spayed in the morning and came home late afternoon, she ate a little bit of hay. The next morning the pain killers had worn off and she wouldn't eat or drink. I would have liked to been able to give her more painkillers. She only started eating later that day after I spoonfed her water and then she nibbled on a dandelion leaf. It was a few days before she got back to normal. She was in a small indoor cage after the op so couldn't have done any harm to herself. I think just one extra painkiller the day after the op would have made her more comfortable.

I think pain relief is ESSENTIAL for post operative care. I would not allow any doe of mine to be spayed by a vet who would not agree to this. Some vets fail to take into account that the drug they use to negate the sedation of the GA (Antisedan to negate the Domitor/Vetalar) also significantly reduces the analgesic effect of these drugs. If post GA analgesia is given it is often Carprofen (Rimadyl) which only offers pain relef for a MAXIMUM of 24 hours, often less. Some vets are worried about using more NSAID analgesia because of the nephrotoxic (kidney damage) risks. These complications were actually found when the drug was used LONG TERM and on CATS not Rabbits. I always request pain relief for 2 days post op' (my vet allows me to have most drugs at home so it is just a case of me OK'ing it with Vet). A spay is major abdominal surgery involving trauma to soft tissue, muscles etc. As has already been mentioned a bun in pain wont eat and after abdominal surgery it is particularly important to re-establish gut motility ASAP. Jane and Bunsxx

Back