• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Question for Owners of Shy Rabbits...

greydaze

Warren Scout
I just brought my little Skittles home, and he was very cuddly until I introduced him to his new cage. I'm not sure if it was fear or if he's going to be a real snugle bun, but now, he hides every time I turn to look at him (Computer chair is facing away from his cage). I think maybe he got scared becaue of the noise I was making when cleaning just after he got home.

My question is this: Will he be less shy after a while, and what can I do to help him along? He seems to really want to be left alone right now, as he hides in his bunny hut every time I so much as look at him! He's the cutest little thing, just 9-10 weeks old, and I don't want to rush him or scare him worse. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

He really does need time to adjust to his new surroundings as everything will be totally new to him. Try tempting him with food off your hand, or just talking to him whether he hides away or not. Given a little time you will see him adjusting.
Don't worry he will come round eventually.

Hiya. I'd give him a few days to get used to his new surroundings. Was he previously with his litter mates before you collected him. You could put a small soft toy in with him. Some babies find this a comfort and so far I have not had a problem with a baby bun chewing the toy. Once Skittles gets used to all the new noises and feels safe in his house you could offer him a few treats from your hand without actually removing him from his cage. Just generally being around him will help him realise you are not a threat. You can gradually start to give him nose rubs whilst he is in his cage. He will become more confident but he is only a baby who has probably been used to the support of other baby buns. He's had lots of changes to get used to but with your time and patience he will become a braver bunster!! We await the piccies!! Jane and Bunsxx

Well, piccies are up here! :D As for litter mates, yes, he was crammed in a teeny little 30"x24" (not sure what that is in m or cm) cage with four other buns (one of them being a big 6-pounder, not the mother) and two guinie pigs! :cry: The poor thing probably isn't used to such a big area all to himself. I have a lot of stuffed animals, so I suppose my fiance won't be too upset if I give him one of my less loved ones to comfort poor little Skittles. :)

Thanks for the advice, guys! I'll try giving him some treats in a few days. I "baby talk" to him every time I see the poor little guy huddled in his hut, and I'll continue to, even if he looks so scared of me. At least he's let me reach in and give him a little pet on the nose without turning around in the hut. :)

Progress!!! I keep talking really sweet to Skittles, giving him little nose and hear pets, and while i was talking to him and sitting in front of his cage, he came out of his hut, hopped around in a circle (coming really close to the cage door, which was open), then hopped back in. I think he's really going to come around soon! Tomorrow, I will buy some fresh greens and a carrot to feed him and maybe get him to come out of his cage and spend some time with me in the next few days. :D

Only give him a tiny amount of veg to start with in case it gives him an upset tummy. It maybe best to wait till he is 12 weeks before you try him with veg just to be on the safe side.
I have just got a 12 week old bunny and he hasn't had any veg yet. I am going to try him with a little bit next week when he has settled in a bit more.

Ted was very shy and nervous when I first got him (he was a little baby!) but after a while he developed into the biggest attention seeker! Every morning he is waiting for me so he can give me a big kiss!

Give your new bun time to settle in and let him get to know you, he will be fine.

my Aspen as very shy and nervous too. Once she settled in I let her loose in the room. While she was out I talked to her and gave her a little piece of strawberry if she came up to me. I did this for about a week. She never was a snuglly bun but she atleast trusts me now.

my rabbit is quite shy too, we have had him for 2 weeks and when we got him he was in a pen with another rabbit and a guinea pig and i assume there were more rabbits in there before that - does a cuddly toy really help them? and if so is there anything on a toy thats a real no no so i can decide which one to give him

Thanks a bunch, guys! Skittles has been coming out of his cage a bit every day, but since I havent finished rabbit-proofing (and he still needs to use his litterbox exclusively), I can't let him have free run of the room. And he realy doesn't like that! :lol: He keeps standing against the door, throwing his toys and generally doing all he can to get me to let him explore! Also, lately he's been doing that "partial binky" thing where he shakes his head while on his back legs. he mostly just does this when I'm baby'talking to him and calling him a cute little guy. :lol: He's actually been really good about using his litterbox, especially for pee, which is kind of shocking to me since I haven't had him for long.

He's really coming out of his shell. Now I need to go finish rabbit-proofing and cleaning the room so he can have some out-time. :D

Back