• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The Poor Bunnies!

greydaze

Warren Scout
Today, I bought Skittles (my new bunny), his cage and his feed. Everything else (toys, litter box, water bottle, hay) was already bought. But when I asked about straw or willow mats for the interior of the cage, the attendant told me that it isn't needed and that most owners just use the wire cage bottoms as-in. :cry: Right now, I have a washcloth in there, and tomorrow I'll be getting a mat for the interior. But it's kind of sad to see Skittle's little toes slip between the metal bars and know that if I hadn't read up, the poor thing would have to live like that for the rest of his life.

Have you considered keeping the rag down until he is litter trained, then giving him carpeting? By the way, fixing your bun is one of the best things you can do for him/her. It helps their behavior, and it is really good to have an altered bun to keep their litter habbits good. YOu can't neuter boys unti labout 3 or4 months, and girls can't be spayed until about 9 months.

Well, since skittles is still just 9-10 weeks old, I won't have to worry about fixing him/her for at least 2 months. :lol:

Ill agree with you on that i dont like the idea of rabbits on wire floors either. We dont use them in briton, i would get a bit of carpet to put down. val :(

Aww, its so terrible that these people dont know any better :(

Aspen'n'company said:
Have you considered keeping the rag down until he is litter trained, then giving him carpeting? By the way, fixing your bun is one of the best things you can do for him/her. It helps their behavior, and it is really good to have an altered bun to keep their litter habbits good. YOu can't neuter boys unti labout 3 or4 months, and girls can't be spayed until about 9 months.

girls can be spayed at 6 months old boys at 4 months :wink:

Aspen'n'company said:

You don't have to wait that long to spay girls. My girls are 5 months old and just got spayed. It just depends on what age your buns breed hits sexual maturity. Average is 5-6 months according to my vet. But you can wait as long as you want if you're worried they're too young.

Back