• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mayas eyes any ideas??

JIMGRACIE

Mama Doe
As most will know Maya has been to the vets for his blocked tear ducts. He has had them flushed twice now, and when he went last both were flushed clean. He is going back on the 11th to see how all is going again, but my question is....

......is there anyone that has had a bun with blocked tear ducts? and if so, you know the tears are sticky and make the hair all stick together, and then go hard, how can i go about cleaning it?

At the moment i am gently pulling the hair apart and pulling the sticky tear juice off. I just wondered if there was an easier way of doing it.

Gracie and animals x

I just wet the area to soften it then use a small toothed comb to get the muck off. If you do it when its dry the hair tends to come away to leaving bald patches. val :)

our old little house bun Guy had this problem and he had his tear ducts flushed out a couple of times,I think the vet gave us some cream for his eyes and it did clear up in the end.I can't remember the name though Could it be fucalthalmic If that was the stuff you probably don't spell it like that :lol:

And one of our outdoor buns Pepper has had his flushed out but this was due to some dental problems I think the vet said.no more problems now though as he's been without his front teeth for a few months now and he gets all the fuss from dad now at feeding time.

:love: Samantha

A small smear of Vaseline around the eyes after the daily bathing/drying routine helps protect the delicate skin and makes cleaning the gunk off easier. Use only warm water for this!! Jane and Bunsxx

Thanks everyone. Maya has some eye drops that seem to be helping a little. But he still needs a little attention around the eyes.

I thought that vasaline might help, thanks Jane.

Gracie and animals x

JIMGRACIE said:
Thanks everyone. Maya has some eye drops that seem to be helping a little. But he still needs a little attention around the eyes.

I thought that vasaline might help, thanks Jane.

Gracie and animals x
No worries!! :wink: Jane and Bunsxx

Back