• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Re: Vaccinations

greydaze

Warren Scout
Re: Vaccinations

I know that it's very important to get vaccinations in EU b/c of the several big diseases which seem to be so rampant. However, I live in Southern California and was wondering if my bun would be prone to the same diseases and in need of vaccines?

what diseases do you have over there, your vet should be able to tell you. If its a rabbit disease then it will affect any rabbit that comes in contact with. val

I think VHD is a notifiable disease still in the states? I'm not sure they have vaccination yet. I'm fairly sure there isn't one available for myxi. I'm not sure if that varies by states though so as Val says asking your vet (you can just call them up for that) is probably the best way to find out.

Tam

Well, I've done some researching, and apparently, there has been a total of 5 outbreaks of VHD in America, so the risks are negligible, especially for indoor rabbits. Thanks for the replies, guys, and for all the info you've given me in all my topics. :lol:

both my rabbits are total in-door rabbits and they do not come into contact with others.

however, i still get them vaccinated as i feel that there could still be a certain degree of risk as i have been aware of casing occuring with others (a mixi case when i was at the vet a while back).

i think of it as an insurance policy that you hope you will never need but you take it out to be secure in your own mind.

i think its still worth it.

I don't think that Myxi or VHD spread in America as these diseases only tend to affect the European rabbit. Cottontails and the other species found in the States can't get Myxi so it isn't endemic and can only spread through people causing rabbits to come into contact with each other/contaminated items.

Back