• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

vet trips with more than one bun

allyandtobey

Alpha Buck
tobey should be getting a friend on the 10th december but he's having to get his incisors burred every 2 months at the moment, i just wondered if anyone could give advice who has a pair or more of bonded buns where one has to make regular trips to the vet. obviously theyd have to go together and things like that..

any advice would be appreciated thanks :)

if one goes they all go (as long as they are bonded) i have taken eight buns to the vets before! :shock: :shock:

When Travis went to have his teeth filed, Treacle went with him and spent the day at the vets. They always go together even if only one of them needs something doing. My vet's were very good about it - how can you refuse that fluffy lil' face?! :lol:

The lil' lady got more fuss and attention there than she does at home I think!! The nurses were all cooing over how she was licking Travis the moment he started to come round from his anaesthetic!! :D

If they are bonded, they should go eveywhere together, especially to the vets as they will smell different when they get back, which can lead to anomosity between bonded buns.

bunsxmas.jpg

I have always taken Hobbes and Phoebe separately and never had problems with them being bonded. They have only been for vaccinations though so were only gone an hour at most. Next year I will take them together to save time.

I always take them together I think it must be less stressfull for them when they have their partner to cuddle up to!

I'd say take them together...BUT ensure your vets have an adequate ID proceedure. Once I left two buns at a Vets and they did a dental on THE WRONG BUNNY!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: And yes, the buns did look VERY different and one was a buck the other a doe.........Dohhhhhhhhhhhhh!! :roll: :roll: Jane and Bunsxx

JCO said:
I'd say take them together...BUT ensure your vets have an adequate ID proceedure. Once I left two buns at a Vets and they did a dental on THE WRONG BUNNY!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: And yes, the buns did look VERY different and one was a buck the other a doe.........Dohhhhhhhhhhhhh!! :roll: :roll: Jane and Bunsxx

:shock: poor bunnies :shock:

I've taken mine seperately and if its only been a couple of hours its been no problem. For longer periods, I re-introduced them by putting the pet carrier inside the run for a while so they could see each other first.

Rabswood

thanks for all the tips :) i'll speak to the vet too to make sure about the correct iding thing - thats got me a little worried now!

I always taken my bonded ones seperate unless they are both having treatment and they never bother, One of mine had to stay in overnight which was most unexpected but I put a teddy in with the one left behind ans she snuggled up to that and was fine. The day after when I brought the other home it was so funny as Gypsy threw the teddy out of the hutch and snuggled straight into Misty.

Bonded means when you have two buns living together. Anything you need to know or want to ask just ask as we all had to start somewhere.

Definitely take them both - it's a very stressful experience for them, why would you want to deprive them of the comfort they would get from their partner?

he's in getting his teeth done now, it's going to cost me £107 every 2 months by the looks of it. i don't know wether it would be best to just get his incisors out, as his molars are completely fine, but they said this is quite a big operation, so i'm not sure what's for the best for him, and i'm a student and i'm finding it difficult as i'm loaning money from my mum at the moment and she's making me feel quite guilty about it! these things can't be predicted though :(

does anyone know if insurance covers regular dentals?

poor little tobey :( at least next time he will have a friend to help him feel secure.

Sorry but insurance DOES NOT cover dental treatment :roll: :roll: I would 'shop around' re Vet fees as £107 does sound way OTT. I pay £40 max for a full GA/Dental. Also, many buns do much better without their incisors if they have bad malocclusion needing frequent treatment. One op' to remove them...ie one GA may be better in the long term than numerous GAs throughout your buns life. I would seriously consider having the incisors removed if he were my bun. And I'd also seriously question why you are being charged so much for his treatment!!! :shock: :shock: :D Jane and Bunsxx

Are they knocking him out just to do his incisors? That's quite unusual - most vets can burr those quickly and easily without.

If he is being knocked out then one op to remove them is certainly better than regular aneasthetics.

I'd never try talking a vet into something their not comfortable in performing though. It might just be they have little experience of it in which case it would be worth finding a vet that is experience and is happy performing the op.

I have to say £107 for just the front teeth sounds way OTT to me too.

Tam

no i never said he was getting a GA every time he gets his teeth burred, hes just being sedated.

id rather not "shop around" as my vet is reliable so far and i'm happy that their treatment of tobey is the best i can get in this area.

Back