• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Myomatosis press release

Caz

Mama Doe
Deadly disease may claim 9 out of 10 rabbits in UK

Worst outbreak of myxomatosis for years and high cost of vaccinating pets threaten to destroy population of 37.5 million
By Tom Anderson
Published: 27 November 2005
The worst outbreak of myxomatosis for years is threatening Britain's rabbit population, and owners of domestic animals are being warned to get their pets vaccinated without delay.

Reports are coming in of outbreaks of the disease across the country, with epidemics confirmed in Dorset, East Sussex, Essex, Newcastle, Cambridge, Durham and Surrey. Experts are blaming mild conditions in the autumn.

More than 90 per cent of rabbits - wild and domestic - that contract myxomatosis die. The disease is carried by insects such as mosquitoes, ticks, mites, lice and fleas. An outbreak in the early 1950s almost wiped out the UK's rabbit population.

Claire King, executive officer at the Rabbit Welfare Association, the UK's largest rabbit owners' organisation, said: "It is now everywhere in the country. Rabbit owners should take their rabbits down to the vet and vaccinate them. They should do it as soon as possible. This is the worst outbreak for years."

The disease begins with lumps around the rabbit's head and genitals. Acute eye infection follows, causing discharge and, usually, blindness. The rabbit then loses its balance, stops eating, and develops a fever. Infections then occur, causing pneumonia and inflammation of the lumps. In typical cases, death takes about 13 days.

Rabbits were introduced into Britain by invading Roman legions 2,000 years ago. The population, estimated at 37.5 million, is at its highest for half a century.

Myxomatosis was first observed in laboratory rabbits in Uruguay in 1896. It was tolerated by South American rabbits but proved lethal to their European cousins. The disease was deliberately introduced into Australia to devastating effect in 1950. In the autumn of 1953,it arrived in Britain. Ministry of Agriculture officials tried to contain it but failed.

Two years later, 99 per cent of Britain's wild rabbits were dead. It was alleged that some farmers had spread the disease deliberately, as rabbits had been blamed for the destruction of vast swathes of crops.

The Pests Act 1954 criminalised intentional transmission, but few prosecutions followed. The rabbit population has now grown to half what it was before the disease spread.

Mairwen Guard, of Cottontails Rabbit Rescue in Westbury, Wiltshire, believes the high cost of vaccination - between £10 to £20 per rabbit - is helping to spread the disease. She said: "Responsible pet owners already vaccinate their rabbits twice a year. Your average person will buy rabbits for their kids and then just leave them at the bottom of the garden when the family gets bored. It's no wonder that the disease spreads."

Dorothy and Ray Massey of the British Belgian Hare Club have over 70 animals in their barn in Wearmouth, Derbyshire. Mrs Massey is prepared for the worst. "This outbreak could wipe the whole lot out," she said.

"All our stock, everything. We can't vaccinate, though. It's so costly to have the whole lot vaccinated, as well as making the does infertile."

The disease is not monitored by the Government. A spokesman for the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs said yesterday: "This is not a notifiable disease. People whose pets catch it or who see it are not required by law to report it. It doesn't affect any other mammal."

Myxomatosis is a severe viral disease that ravaged the wild rabbit population when it arrived in Britain 50 years ago.

SICK NOTES

Where did it come from?

Scientists isolated and extracted the disease from South American rabbits, who were immune. Myxomatosis was introduced deliberately into Australia and France in the early 1950s, from where it spread to Britain.

What is it?

Myxomatosis is a type of pox virus which grows in the skin of rabbits.

How does it spread?

The disease is spread by blood-sucking insects. The major parasite in Britain is the rabbit flea. The virus remains active in flea blood for months, surviving the winter in wild rabbit burrows.

Which animals are susceptible?

All breeds of rabbits are affected, including the 1.8 million pet rabbits in the UK and the estimated population of 35 million in the wild.

The worst outbreak of myxomatosis for years is threatening Britain's rabbit population, and owners of domestic animals are being warned to get their pets vaccinated without delay.

Reports are coming in of outbreaks of the disease across the country, with epidemics confirmed in Dorset, East Sussex, Essex, Newcastle, Cambridge, Durham and Surrey. Experts are blaming mild conditions in the autumn.

More than 90 per cent of rabbits - wild and domestic - that contract myxomatosis die. The disease is carried by insects such as mosquitoes, ticks, mites, lice and fleas. An outbreak in the early 1950s almost wiped out the UK's rabbit population.

Claire King, executive officer at the Rabbit Welfare Association, the UK's largest rabbit owners' organisation, said: "It is now everywhere in the country. Rabbit owners should take their rabbits down to the vet and vaccinate them. They should do it as soon as possible. This is the worst outbreak for years."

The disease begins with lumps around the rabbit's head and genitals. Acute eye infection follows, causing discharge and, usually, blindness. The rabbit then loses its balance, stops eating, and develops a fever. Infections then occur, causing pneumonia and inflammation of the lumps. In typical cases, death takes about 13 days.

Rabbits were introduced into Britain by invading Roman legions 2,000 years ago. The population, estimated at 37.5 million, is at its highest for half a century.

Myxomatosis was first observed in laboratory rabbits in Uruguay in 1896. It was tolerated by South American rabbits but proved lethal to their European cousins. The disease was deliberately introduced into Australia to devastating effect in 1950. In the autumn of 1953,it arrived in Britain. Ministry of Agriculture officials tried to contain it but failed.

Two years later, 99 per cent of Britain's wild rabbits were dead. It was alleged that some farmers had spread the disease deliberately, as rabbits had been blamed for the destruction of vast swathes of crops.

The Pests Act 1954 criminalised intentional transmission, but few prosecutions followed. The rabbit population has now grown to half what it was before the disease spread.

Mairwen Guard, of Cottontails Rabbit Rescue in Westbury, Wiltshire, believes the high cost of vaccination - between £10 to £20 per rabbit - is helping to spread the disease. She said: "Responsible pet owners already vaccinate their rabbits twice a year. Your average person will buy rabbits for their kids and then just leave them at the bottom of the garden when the family gets bored. It's no wonder that the disease spreads."

Dorothy and Ray Massey of the British Belgian Hare Club have over 70 animals in their barn in Wearmouth, Derbyshire. Mrs Massey is prepared for the worst. "This outbreak could wipe the whole lot out," she said.

"All our stock, everything. We can't vaccinate, though. It's so costly to have the whole lot vaccinated, as well as making the does infertile."

The disease is not monitored by the Government. A spokesman for the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs said yesterday: "This is not a notifiable disease. People whose pets catch it or who see it are not required by law to report it. It doesn't affect any other mammal."

Myxomatosis is a severe viral disease that ravaged the wild rabbit population when it arrived in Britain 50 years ago.

SICK NOTES

Where did it come from?

Scientists isolated and extracted the disease from South American rabbits, who were immune. Myxomatosis was introduced deliberately into Australia and France in the early 1950s, from where it spread to Britain.

What is it?

Myxomatosis is a type of pox virus which grows in the skin of rabbits.

How does it spread?

The disease is spread by blood-sucking insects. The major parasite in Britain is the rabbit flea. The virus remains active in flea blood for months, surviving the winter in wild rabbit burrows.

Which animals are susceptible?

All breeds of rabbits are affected, including the 1.8 million pet rabbits in the UK and the estimated population of 35 million in the wild.

Shantel posted this on another forum but I couldn't find it on here so decided to put it up - very worrying!

I am going to take mine in as it is 6 months since their last booster!

One of the main parts that worries me is this:

I haven't heard of does being made infertile by the vacc (obviously doesn't worry the majority of us with spayed does) - this will put many breeders off vaccinating causing the disease to spread! Is this true?

Caz

that is scary! :shock: :shock: :shock: all have been done aprt from two i thought i could wait until january as i have only just got them and its been bloody freezing but i will go get the done asap!

p.s no idea about the infertility but would not think so, but couldnt be sure i dont know too many breeders that vacs anyway!

Eve x

Hum, excuse me for my ignorance... but would it not be better to vaccinate the buns that lady has whether it makes them infertile or not?? :? :? Surely it would be better for them to have them vaccinated and take that risk of them becoming infertile rather than her losing her buns to myxi? :? :? I know her main point was that they couldn't afford it (which imo then means they have too many animals.... but that is just my opinion).................

Maybe its just me :? :? :? :?

Ooooh... this is scary. Are house buns less at risk as they are not in the outdoors and have less exposure to the parasites that are carrying the disease?

Would it maybe be worth putting some sort of flea treatment on them just incase or am I panicing too much?! :oops:

Mine are both vaccinated but I still worry about this stuff as like everyone else on here, I love my bunsters to pieces!!

Breeders that live in high risk areas do get there stock jabed. If you live in these areas you can get it every year such as canvey island, so they have too or they would never have any rabbits left. Im very lucky because of living in london nowere near wild rabbits ive never had it in the ten years ive been breeding. The nearest place that gets it is ten miles away. I would not have the money to do all mine but a lot of breeders can go abroard and get the vaciene very cheep, and they do there own. I did once take in a rescue rabbit and her two babys from a high risk area and they had mixi when they came in, luckly for me it must have been a mozzi that spread it because none of mine did. If its carryed by fleas then its worse because they will jump from rabbit to rabbit. If you live in an area that gets it then double check you regularly get your cat de flead as they will bring it in to your rabbits. val

I thought it sounded wrong about the infertility as I'm sure some breeders vaccinate. I queried it over on the Rabbit Breeders forum and they said that view is quite outdated.

Tam

Back