• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter training bunnies

lynda_m

Warren Veteran
I have put a litter tray in my bunnies cage and have been putting their droppings in there... but they think its a bed and they go to the toilet elsewhere!

Any suggestions you knowledgeable lot?

I'd like to know too - 4 of the buns picked up littertraining immediately and were perfect, but Mary never figured it from day one. When I bonded Squishy and Rex with him they both abandoned their littertraining for Mary's habit of weeing everywhere!
They now have two trays and I put hay in both, but they sleep in either one of them. They do wee in the trays but they also wee elsewhere - it's a pain because I've got Vetbed down due to Rex having worn down the fur on his hocks, but it gets wet and smelly quickly because there's 3 buns weeing on it!
I'd love to have them out in my room permanently as they've not got any teeth to chew anything, but because of their bad litter habits I can't!

Lynda, Teddy and Bertie were litter tray trained but may just be sorting out their new territory. they will leave their poos all over but will pee in a tray and only a tray..Just give them time to settle. If they pee on anything else put it in their tray they'll soon get back to their tidy ways :D

Our first house rabbit took to litter trays straight away, never had any problems with him. When we introduced him to girlfriend she pick it up to start with, then slowly got worse... to the point it became a game of "where will I wee today!"

She seems to have got better as times gone on - if we catch her weeing where she's not supposed to we pick her up and put her in a litter tray (we've got 4 dotted round the house for them). Also we put her water bowl in a litter tray and sometimes her food so she gets used to sitting in it.

We were all braced to have wee happening everywhere when Poppy arrived home for the first time last weekend as part of the territorial process... and to our surprise, that never happened :shock: (not that I am complaining, mind you)..

thing is, Poppy just seems to looooove sleeping in the litter tray.... we have made it quick deep with wood chips and placed some hay on top to make sure that even when she sits on her loo, the wee has drained through.... having a soggy bottomed bunny just wouldn't be right :?

Any ideas on why this happens, and is it okay?

Lee.

Lee lots of rabbits sleep in their litter trays...perhaps their own smell is comforting....as long as you keep it well filled and clean it regularly she'll be fine.

Thanks again Jill :D
So all in all, we have a one-times-very happy Poppy!!!
She is just suuuuuuuch a little gem :love:

Mr Binks loves munching on his greens from his litter tray..
Different strokes for different buns ;)

Lee, x

Thanks Jill, I thought I remembered you saying they were litter trained but was just a bit concerned that they were sleeping there.

Apart from that they seem to be getting on fine, hopefully they'll get back to normal with their trays soon. :)

Back