• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Snuffly bun or healthy bun???

**Bonnie**

Mama Doe
Hi All,

Some of you may have read my other thread about Alfie's nasal swab, they tested him for Pasturella but that was negative and he has another bacteria that is apparently of no significance (according to the vet at the lab) and is not contageous...

So....

can i get a healthy bun or does it have to be a snuffly one?? if its a snuffly one that has pasturella i dont want Alfie to get it!

I have seen sooo many buns on rabbit rehome and have fallen in love with Hope (little lionhead) i think she is bonded and has prob been rehomed by now!

Any thoughts??

Thanks all for all of your help

cant tell you how exc ited i am being able to get another rabbit!!

Bonnie x

Hiya!

I would definietly wait and find out exactly what Alfie has before you get another bun! Only because if it doesn't turn out to be snuffles and you get a snuffle bun, you might infect Alfie :? :?

Good luck though! :D

Hi

Thanks Loopylop, well it is concluded that Alfie has that bacteria (not the fish one because i spelt it wrong) but another one that isn't contageous and is of no significance hence being confused about whether to get a snuffly one or healthy one...the vet seemed to think it would be a bad idea to get a snuffle one as if its got pasturella obvious Alfie will get it!

anyway, we shall see...

Thanks!

Bonnie x

LOL! I wonder if Alfie understands all the confusion as to what he has got! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bless him, whatever you decide, I'm sure Alfie will be really happy xxxx

So the vet was happy to discuss the fact that Pasteurella swabs are inaccurate & throw false negatives? :?

Who's to say that Alfie doesn't have both? After all Pasteurellosis (infectious state)can occur quite commonly with rabbits that are run down anyway.

Sorry i sound cynical yet again.I'm signing off......

Hi Bunnyboarding,

I am not an expert and am just going by what the lab vet told my vet??

My rabbit has been around healthy rabbits and they have all been fine.

Oh i dunno - its all confusing me too much now i think i might give up.

Thanks

Bonnie

Alfie kennedy said:
Hi Bunnyboarding,

I am not an expert and am just going by what the lab vet told my vet??

Bonnie

Yep, but that's not necessarily what the lab would say though. I have dealt with the labs myself over the phone, etc All they can tell you is what the swab showed, not what it doesn't show. That part of it is down to what the vet can actually see in front of them eg clinical signs.

Yes its a lot to take in, i agree (been around the houses myself :wink:) & as my previous post mentioned, the labs/vets don't know enough about it themselves.

The information can be pretty basic & the vet is often left to interpret the rest....

Hi Alfie, It may be worth having a word with Phill as she has had snuffly buns and I know Jack one of her buns is a snuffly bun and she found out I think that there is 2 types of snuffles on is contagous and one is not, appernetly if one can be cleared up with baytril after so many days I think that one is the one that isn't contagous. Have a word with Phill as I am sure that is what she was told.
Hope all is well.
Love
Kayxx

kayj said:
Hi Alfie, It may be worth having a word with Phill as she has had snuffly buns and I know Jack one of her buns is a snuffly bun and she found out I think that there is 2 types of snuffles on is contagous and one is not, appernetly if one can be cleared up with baytril after so many days I think that one is the one that isn't contagous. Have a word with Phill as I am sure that is what she was told.
Hope all is well.
Love
Kayxx

There are two forms of Snuffles; one is acute & can cause death quickly & the other is chronic, whereby the rabbits shows symptoms which flare up on/off long term/indefinately. These rabbits seem to get better temporarily when give treatment until the next flare up..

There are also symptomless carriers.

Usually the latter two forms are the case with rabbits that have survived an epidemic that has killed other rabbits in the same vicinity.

BUT they are ALL infectious.

The only thing to do if you have had one that is showing such obvious signs is to treat them all as potentially infectious..... symptoms or not, if any sneezing of this nature (especially purulent discharge as Pasteurella causes pus-filled nodules on the lungs, often detected upon an autopsy, unfortunately ).

Thanks Cheryl,

It is very confusing as a friend of mine had a rabbit who sneezed, had disrchage and antibiotics didn't change anything and the rabbit was otherwise healthy - she was out with 3 other rabbits and they were all fine, she lived for 8 years.

Alfie has been with other rabbits and they have been fine as well so how can it be contageous??

how can anyone determine that just because a rabbit sneezes it is pasturella and nothing else?! - it seems that alot more research needs to be done on this because im well confused!!!

anyway, the point is Alfie is happy/eats/poos blinky's bright eyed etc - thats my main concern..will deal with whether to get another snuffle femail or not at a later date..

all advice is very interesting - thanks alot!

/

Alfie...going off subject a bit...yes Hope the little lionhead is reserved and going to her new home on Saturday.. but if it turns out he hasn't got snuffles then I have other cute girlies looking for homes.
how about getting a 2nd opinion from a different vet?

Hi Honeybunny,

I saw that Hope has been rehomed which is great - she is so cute!

This is the 2nd vet that Alfie has been too, the first one was really **** and said that he will improve as he gets older (he was 4 months at the time) i didnt think this was good enough so got recommended to another vet who i am with.

I think after he has been neatured I will go to another vet and see what they say - they will either put him on antibiotics that he has already been on or i can ask for another nasal swab which will prob be the best course of action.

thanks alot!

This is a hard one :?

The best thing will probably be to get him neutered and see how he is, and get another opinion if possible.

I would think, if his symptoms aren't too bad afterwards that a very healthy rabbit might be the best answer. I have had snuffle buns whose partners have not caught it from them, at least not visibly. My vet reckons it is present in most rabbits anyway and only those with weakened immune systems show symptoms. So as he seems to have a weak system he would be more vulnerable to catching it from a sick bun (if he doesn't have it already) than a healthy bun would be at risk catching it from him. If you give a home to a rabbit that is healthy but would otherwise not have a home to call her own then the risk would be worth it for that rabbit and Alfie would have a partner - and given a partner he will be happier which is also good for the immune system.

Hi,

Thanks for that doorkeeper - i really appreciate other people's opinions!!

Bobtails is just down the road from me and would love to rescue one of their femails!! maybe i'll give them a call tomorrow.,..

But yes, i think seeing how he is after being neatured is important - if he bounces back then obviously his immune system is ok..

Will have to update everyone Monday as will have no access until then!

the other thing that you should be aware of is that there are numerous different strains of pasturella so it actually makes me dispair when I see rescues saying that a snuffly bun has to go with another snuffly bun. :roll:

If you put two rabbits together that have different strains then it can cause more problems as their immune systems may not be able to cope if they then catch the oher strain too.

However it also depends on how bad the symptoms are to start with.

Lol Pam

Thanks Pam

If you put two rabbits together that have different strains then it can cause more problems as their immune systems may not be able to cope if they then catch the oher strain too.

This is what my vet said!!

To me Alfie is very healthy apart from a few sneezes, shiny coat, good weight that he has been putting on consistently and is the perfect weight, good teeth, etc so i would obviously prefer to put him with a healthy bun then a snuffly one that could cause even more problems!

oh why wasn't i warned that bunnies could be complicated little things :roll:

Bonnie

It is interesting that both aenomas and aeormonas are in brackish water and affect fish.
Well, I think it interesting!!!!

I hope he is OK after tomorrow and that the antibiotic he is on maybe makes the snuffles go away completely.

Would they then retest him to see if he is then a carrier?

Lwt us hope all is cleared up and he can have a lovely bunny to bond with.

Thanks Michele,

it is interesting but confusing as well!

I think after his op im just goign to leave it for a bit and see how he gets on, he has been backwards and forwards to the vets so many times i just want to get him settled. I may well get another swab at some point.

thanks everyone!

Bonnie

I know what you mean. When Calliie has been il the sight of the dreaded box and she is off!
I have to be really sneaky now and hide it and get her inot a room that is small with few hiding places as I am not too good on the old pegs, adn then sneak the box in and rather ungraciously stuff her in it!

Mind you even when she has been well, and when we moved here in October and iot was December she last was at the vets, she still knew that dreaded box.
She likes it here. A huge oak tree and a foir tree at the bottom of the garen provide many hours of birdie watching!
Especially since her cat flap went in yesterday.
She has managed to use it herself today, despite it being quite a jump in and out!

Let us hope once Alfie is home tomorrow night he can try adn forget his trips to you know who!

Back