• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

litter

jayned

Young Bun
at the moment, Tommy is using the same litter as my rats! A wood based cat litter. He seems ok with it (better than the sawdust his previous owners had him on)

Have read that you can also use shredded newspaper with hay!

what do you use?

i put a newspaper at the bottom then loads of hay, as he loves to eat it at the same time! :lol:

I hate to say, but really you shouldn't use a wood based litter for your rats.

I have biocatolet which i use for the rats adn Harvey this way its excellent litter for them both. another is yesterdays news but this is harder pellets adn can be harsher on the feet and noisy too.

I know they say that *some* wood based litters are ok for rats if the phenols are removed, but it is always best to avoid wood based due to the respiratory problems that rats suffer from. and yes most definately never use wood shavings...

If you want to try out some biocatolet I am happy to post you some to try out.

bob martins paper based litter is a cheaper alternative and i know a few people who use this too.

BTW I would LOVE to see pics of your ratties, im a bit of a fan and rattie addict and would love to see the little fuzzies!!! :D

Hi sarattie

wood based litter is ok as long as it's not cedar or pine...that's the stuff that irritates rats repiratory systems. Even pine fragranced litter is bad. I've tried paper based litters, but the ratties tend not to use them. :roll:

I've been keeping rats for nearly 20 years now, and have used wood based litter for a long time. Never had any probs with it! :D

we have the wood based stuff. we have to make a special trip to morrison's for it!

we dont shop there so we go and get a couple of bags at a time. the things i do for the buns!

jayned said:
Hi sarattie

wood based litter is ok as long as it's not cedar or pine...that's the stuff that irritates rats repiratory systems. Even pine fragranced litter is bad. I've tried paper based litters, but the ratties tend not to use them. :roll:

I've been keeping rats for nearly 20 years now, and have used wood based litter for a long time. Never had any probs with it! :D

okies!!! :lol: :oops:

the offers still open if you want to try biocatolet!! lol!

:oops: oh didn't mean to sound 'uppity' (for want of a better word!) :?
sorry

I've tried them on biocatolet (in the big cage..there's 5 at the moment) and the little darlings won't use it :roll:

mind you, not tried the 2 rescue boys on anything else yet... I might try them all on something else when they get cleaned out tomorrow, as the litter I use is only available in one shop round here and it means a special trip to town.....why are rats sometimes so flippin' awkward!! :lol:

The only thing with wood based is that they tend to kick it around every where and then there's a huge pile on the floor by the cages!

:D thats ok i didnt read it as that at all!! :D

Ive been very lucky, mine arent fussy at all, least of all fussy where they wee!! shelves, baskets, hammocks, bedding, litter, on me... where ever!! :roll:

my old bun used to kick his litter everywhere! now harvey pulls his hay from the manger into the tray which stops it getting kicked out which is a bonus!

Your tatties are lovely!

Back