• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rabbit that don't or can't eat hay...help!

ah144

Warren Scout
as many of you are aware i have just taken on a disabled bun...she dosen't seem interested in hay of any sought...orchard, timothy or good old meadow hay...she likes pooing on it but thats it!!!!!!!!!i am unsure weather she can't eat because of her teeth probs or she just don't want it!this is the same as veg/fruit....she can manage brown bread so have been mashing up a bit of carrot and some brocoli seed heads in this.....she woofs down her s+s :) any ideas anyone?

hi ya phil oh queen of bunny bonding!! :) she won't/can't eat veg!if you can imagine just smaller than a 1 pence piece....thats the size of her bits of bread and the carrot bits i stick in it are even smaller!!

I have had a few rabbits before to foster who had maloccluded front teeth, these always underwent removal of these. I used to cut up their hay to about 2 inch pieces and mix it with their pellets. All fruit and veg used to be cut up into small pieces or even grated if they struggled to start with and then slowly increasing them in size until we reached a slightly larger size.

As Phil says I would suggest cutting up the hay and mixing it with the pellets. Full length hay is very difficult for them to get hold of. Hand picked grass usually also goes down well as long as it is not too large a size.

Good luck

Janice

thanx, the vet wants to monitor for a while and make sure she's strong enough for ga for removal.thanxs for the idea of grating will try this tonight and see how we get on!

well i've tried cutting up hay and also tried the small bits that are left at the bottem of the bag!!...no joy :cry: i've grated apple, swede,brocoli but to no avale!!

How about trying using the veg peeler and doing little slithers of carrot? My bun loved these, rather than more chunky gratings, when he was off his food.

Sue

well i have tried grating, slicing, breaking up with fingers....short grass, short hay,long grass, parsley- flat and curly...you name it i've tried it!! she just leaves it all in the bowl, all she is eating is s+s and brown bread!!

Have you tried Readigrass? Or the timothy chop from bunnybasics.net/timothyhay.net? My buns go mad for these.

yes tried spillers readi grass, chopped up timothy hay, chopped up orchard hay and last but not least...oat hay!!!and veg...swede, carrots, brocoli, cauliflower, apple, banana, grape!!

I really don't know what to suggest now, it definately looks like you have tried everything and doing everything right. I guess all you can do is to keep at it and consider getting her teetch checked out and sorted.

Have you weighed her to see if she how her weight is doing?

Janice

Back