• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why wont alfie eat hay?

bluebunny

Wise Old Thumper
All my other buns love there hay have have very large pooes :oops: , but alfie doesnt seem to be eating any he poo is quite small but there is plenty of them!
He will eat his dry food and veg and has had his teeth checked and had to have a dental two weeks ago,he seems fine in himself.

I had exactly the same problem with Milo. he just wouldn't touch the stuff, not even the dried grass. The thing that solved it for me was taking away his pellets completely so that he had nothing else to eat. it sounds cruel, but it worked. I have now reintroduced the pellets (though not as many as I was giving him before) and he is still eating the hay so it seems he has finally found the taste for it.
Also is Alfie living by himself? Because it may be worth bonding him up with a rabbit who is a massive hay eater. There is a lot of competition for food between my two and Tess adores her hay. So if she is eating it, Milo feels he has to have it too so I think this has encouraged him further. It may not work but it could be worth giving it a go.

I had to up his pellets as he was so skinny,i dont really want him loosing the weight he has put on its a no win situation!
No he lives alone,none of my bunnies would bond with him there bullies!

Princess is the same, I have tried every hay under the sun! Have reduced her pellets and she still won't touch hay!! I've had to accept this, luckily she eats hay cakes so that is something!

Try different hays and perhaps the timothy hay cakes.

Good luck

Nicola

The chinchilla shop online is good but I have recently been getting the Timothy hay cakes from Petlife (think they are Oxbow but I will check!)

Nicola

Oh Bunnybasics do them too, I have just ordered some from there too but haven't got them yet, I expect they will be just as tasty to the buns!! :)

When I took away all my bunnies food except for hay, on vets advice, my poor bun got gut stasis. I will never do that again. Threatening his life for the sake of eating hay seems like a bad idea :x

Sue

Estelle said:
me too, although i went last week and they had no hay, straw or dried grass at all :shock:
Yes ive been in times and they have run out of nearly everything i wanted!
Where abouts do you live then? i get my hay,straw,rabbit feed etc from a farm shop nearby

Wow not far from me :) i get it from wiggs farm near ellistown,they know me really well now, i walk in the door they say "2 bags of megazorb and a big hay" :lol:

I saw that farm online today when i was looking for allen and page pellets. I'll have to try their hay one day. Its bound to be cheaper than Jolleys!

I get ss from there for £12 they dont do the a&p rabbit pellets just the mix,the hay is organic meadow hay its £3 for a massive sack of it my bunnies and pigs wont eat any other hay!

Back