• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Diet question

Soofsoof

Young Bun
Neither of my buns will eat even a mouthful of hay. I've now tried various types of meadow hay and Oxbow Western Timothy and they will not eat any of it.

In my "Pre Rabbits United Forum Ignorance" :oops: they were eating just pellets till recently. Now I give them lots of fresh green veggies which they love, and a little Burgess Supa Excel (plus 2 types of hay, just in case they decide to try it!)

I am thinking about ordering Bunny Basics T which I can get only by mailorder. I see this is 24-28% fibre, instead of Excels 14%. I could try that as the majority of their diet, with less veg. Would this be an improvement? :?:

Or should I continue with plentiful fresh green veggies, and a little Bunny Basics instead of Excel? ie is fresh veg better than pellet whatever the make?

Thanks, Sue

Have you tried cutting hay up and mixing it in with their pellets? They might then accidently have to eat it :D

We use Bunny basics, some of the rabbits in the rescue took a while to get on to it. The trick I found was ensuring that you don't give them too much pellets, on the packet it says the recommended amount, if you give them this amount only and no more they are more likely to start eating a little more of it. If you feed more than this they are usually not hungry enough to want to try any hay.

Janice

Hiya! Try offering them hand picked grass instead. Hay is not only important a a source of fibre but also to ensure dental health. But grass is even better for the teeth than hay,particularly if bun can graze for themselves as this encourages the jaw action required to ensure bun wears down their teeth, which grow all the time. Wild rabbits dont get aquired dental disease cos they eat what buns are MEANT to eat!! :D :D Some buns like barley straw, you could try that too, or some Redigrass,Graze-On or Excel Supa-Forage. Good Luck!! Jane and Bunsxx

jrn1310 said:
Have you tried cutting hay up and mixing it in with their pellets? They might then accidently have to eat it :D

Hi Janice, I've tried cutting it up small and mixing it, but my bunnies are dead smart and can avoid the nasty hay without even a whisker having to touch it, picking out a pellet each time!!!

JCO said:
Try offering them hand picked grass instead... grass is even better for the teeth than hay,particularly if bun can graze for themselves

Hi Jane, I cant let them graze as I live in an apartment block. I cant hand pick grass as the grass here is not "English type" juicy little blades, but a funny mediterranean type of plant. Its not true grass but something that has long shoots which cling to the ground and resembles grass blades. Copes with heat and lack of water and stays green. But neither good for buns or juicy I shouldnt think.

There are more hays I can try. I have tried 4 types so far, but the problem is I will have to get any others international mail order, which is timely and expensive when they never like it :(

Would you recommend Bunny Basics pellets as preferable to heaps of fresh green veggies? Or is neither really the answer, and I have to persevere with making them eat hay? :?

Thanks, Sue

How about growing grass in a tray? Or you could try mixing the pellets/veggies in a big pile of hay :) Dipping a strand in some apple juice...

It's the chewing actions that's an important part of grass/hay and pellets don't replicate that :(

Tam

Tamsin said:
How about growing grass in a tray? Or you could try mixing the pellets/veggies in a big pile of hay :) Dipping a strand in some apple juice...

Tam, that's something I havent thought of, growing grass myself in a tray. I'll get some seeds sent over! Thanks. Also, dipping hay in apple juice, havent thought of that. You are very innovative!

I really appreciate your help guys
Sue

Have you tried them on the hay cakes you can get? Evo lurves the Oxbow ones, maybe you could order some at the same time as you order your Bunny Basics T?

Tamsin said:
Dipping a strand in some apple juice...

Tam

Oooh there's an idea :D :!: :D

I'll go and try it on Rowan.
Although as I think his mouth still hurts it may need to wait a couple of days. Poor lad. He ate some soaked pellets last night, but doesn't want them today :( Holding out for his syringe methinks :roll: He really likes his syringe :?

Hobbes and Phoebe wouldn't eat hay when they were fed pellets. They don't have pellets anymore and eat loads of hay now. They also have a variety of veg every day. I'd suggest cutting out pellets as sometimes this is the only way to get them to eat hay. You can also get bags of dried grass which they like.

Back