• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

exercise during winter

Do you have indoor or outdoor buns?

Mine are inside, so the winter really makes no difference to me :wink:

I would imagine if they were ouside it would be harder though....

xxx

My baby bun has become a house bun in this cold weather, he lives in his nice big cage in the conservatory. I make sure he gets lots of exersize but giving him free run of the conservatory several time a day. He just jumps back in his cage when he's had enough.

1stattempt075.jpg

bluebunny said:
Is anyone else finding it difficult to exercise there bunnies now winter is here?

yep its just to bloody cold for me and them, but am trying seperate t get them out for as long as possible and the short days doesnt help as in the summer i could get them out when i knew i was perminant in after all my running about, but now it is dark at 4 and getting very cold because the sun as gone to bed its getting rather diffcult!

Eve x

Charliesangel said:
Do you have indoor or outdoor buns?

Mine are inside, so the winter really makes no difference to me :wink:

I would imagine if they were ouside it would be harder though....

xxx
There in a summer house now,must admit found it easier when they were indoors,but we have no room in the house now :(

I feel so guilty there not really getting out but nothing i can do other than rehome them,which i dont want to do,its difficult cause they cant have a run in the summer house cause they attack each other through the bars of there pen and because they are not used to being outside in the cold i cant let them out in the garden,no wonder they keep wrecking everything

Yes mine have access to their runs all the time too - although I do bring them in the kitchen often - they love to explore :D

Well i suppose you could say mine have acsess to a run as they live in large puppy pens so they can run around in them

Mine have a run which can be covered and is sheltered so unless its really really bad weather mine can still get out

You could try cabling tying fine grade mesh over the run panels that meet other rabbits? If it was small enough then they wouldn't be able to get teeth/claws/noses/paws through the mesh.

I see what you mean though - if they're in a summer house they probably don't have the coats for running about outside for very long without getting chilly :)

Tam

Which ever two i let out if they go to the other pairs pen the two in the pen start fighting!
Well they have always been house buns and have only just moved into the summer house but its heated so no where near as cold outside!

As its not really raining Alfie gets the run of the garden for an hour in the morning, i sit out there wrapped up having my brekkie, doing my makeup and sorting his hutch out.

he then has a run attached to his hutch during the day and in the evening, again i'll sit in the garden while he is running around for an hour and the rest of the evening he is either in another run on the grass or in the house with me!

Must admit I sympathise as I have trouble providing enough exercise for my buns in the winter months, not that they've said anything too me about it mind :) as they spend most of their time huddled together keeping warm.

They live in a shed with 8x3 (ft) per pair to run about in anyway, but I try and give them half an hour each evening (per pair) in the big run in the garden (20ftx9ft). The run is on concrete and grass. I only do this if the concrete isn't soaking wet (as the grass seems to be permantly wet this time of year) so the rabbits have the choice if they want to run on the cold grass or stay on the concrete. Everytime they choose the cold grass and run about happy as anything. Still I have to stand out there with them as it's always dark by the time I get home.

Roll on summer :shock: :D .........

My buns always get less exercise in the winter as it's so much more difficult to find some nice weather!! I try to make sure that Amy and Princess (my youngest two) have an hour out every evening so long as it isn't raining. With Pippa my oldest who is a bit snuffly anyway I limit her exercise to days when I am off work + it isn't raining, as I worry that the damp grass will affect her.

None of them seem to mind too much, as they have hutch + runs or a shed, altho Amy and Princess are always pleased to have a run :) I give them more to do (brain-wise) such as toilet roll tubes with hay in, food scattered etc.

Nicola

Yes! Mine have acces to a run all day but it's only a small one attached onto their hutch. I get them out as much as possible at weekends but i don't have time on weekdays, my school finishes at 6 so it's dark when i get home! They are also not as friendly as i don't get to see them as much. :(

I think my 2 outdoor buns have been missing out in the winter :( they have a run attatched to the shed but I usually give them free run of the garden when I'm at home only it's too dark when I get in :(

I think my 2 outdoor buns have been missing out in the winter they have a run attatched to the shed but I usually give them free run of the garden when I'm at home only it's too dark when I get in

I always end up sitting in the garden with a big coat on, a cup of tea and the phone so i can make my phone calls!!! im usually out there for about 1-2 hours..i must be mad!

Alfie kennedy said:
I always end up sitting in the garden with a big coat on, a cup of tea and the phone so i can make my phone calls!!! im usually out there for about 1-2 hours..i must be mad!

and a rather large phone bill! :lol:

Back