• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Brussel sprouts!

Hi again

Just wondering if buns can have brussel sprout leaves? The breeder we got them from said not to give them lettuce as it's renound for diahorrea? but we can't find anything on sprouts.

Thanks!

Sarah :lol:

sprouts fine, but some bunnies won't like them lol just like kids as they do have a strong taste, most of mine have never touched them but i did have one dwarf lop that swept up the sprouts before anything else, but he was a bit bonkers lol

Yes, they are ok. I have tried them with my buns though, and like Becki said, they didn't take to them. Its worth a try though :wink:

xxx

EDIT- just looked on the safe food list and Brussel Sprouts are safe in moderation.

Is that true about lettuce? My last bun loved lettuce although we did not give it to him that often.

yes, lettuce is safe in moderation. There is a whole list of good/bad foods on the Rabbit Care Referance Section on the top of the forum. I think page 2 has a nice, detailed list :wink:

hi

I cut sprouts into quarters and they love them - they are the same family as cabbage so not much different - Totally different to lettuce though, which isn't generally recommeded, although it's mainly iceberg that's the baddie.

I agree with Charliesangel, a few leaves of the sprouts are ok, but too many can cause your buns to have an upset tum, i found that out last year, so i am staying clear of them this season......talking about the bunnies that is, :D not me!

Mine didn't even touch them, and I have big eaters :shock:

So, I have not experienced upset tummies from the sprouts, but I have heard of it happening to a few buns. I think it depends on the individual :D

Mine all love sprouts - they are low in calcium so an excellent alternative to kale and spring greens especially for those buns that are prone to bladder sludge and need a low calcium diet.

Roflol!!!! :lol: :lol: Sophie won't touch sprouts!!!!

She looks at them as if to say... "And what is THAT?" :evil:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

My 2 love sprouts Bracken is really into them he will pick up his sprout and hide it and then go and pinch Bebie`s one and eat it, saving his for later!!!

At least theirs 2 othes in my family who eat sprouts like me, my son and husband think i`m trying to kill them if I give them sprouts.

All ours eat sprouts with no problems... we only give them one or two at a time and every other day so they don't get bored of them.

Also never had any problems with lettuce, I think the problems with lettuce tend to come when they only have it once in a while, and if they're still quite young. All ours eat lettuce regularly with no signs of any problems.

Iin fact we've got one who only really eats lettuce now and picks at everything else, but I think tha'ts mainly down to her having kidney problems

Back