• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

are mites contagious???

honey

Alpha Buck
i was just wondering if mites are contagious because gia has had "dandruff" for a long time but it appears for a few weeks then goes for a few months after i comb her daily

none of the other rabbits she lives with have any skin or fur problems so i always assumed that it couldn't be mites because the others would have problems :? also she's never scratching or seems bothered by it

i've just been reading lucycat's post and it seems dandruff is a symptom of mites. i've never seen anything moving in the fur i've combed, would i see anything???

could it be mites :shock: :?:

Does she itch/scratch alot? Also if its mites often the fur comes out of that area really easily and the area becomes bald. Simba had mites earlier this year and ended up with a bald back! Both of them were treated to mites as they can be spread to another rabbit if in contact with them. However the last few months Nala developed dandruff near her tail area and i posted photos on here.. however it was thought this is just dry skin and it seems to come and go, especially when she is moulting.

hi, i think i saw your post with the photos a while ago and i checked gia's fur really closely and couldn't see anything moving at all. she never scratches, well no more than what would be normal. did you treat the bad skin with anything or did it clear up on it's own?

some people did suggest giving aloe vera supplement but it doesnt appear to bother her at all. Sometimes i find some but other times i dont. Her skin isnt particularly red tho so i dont think it bothers her

Mites (generally cheyletiella) would not be visible to the naked eye: might be worth a trip to your vets as treatment is inexpensive, usually a course of 3 or 4 ivermectin injections at around a fiver a shot! And, yes, they are highly contagious! If you have more than one bunny together, they would each need to be treated even if the other/s were not showing symptoms.

iTHINK YOU NEED VERY GOOD EYES TO SEE MITES :lol: USUALY ITS THERE POO U SEE :wink: LITTLE SPECKS OF BLACK. ALWAYS BEST TO GET THE IVERMEC TREATMENT . A LOT OF RABBITS HAVE THEM BUT THEY DONT GET OUT OF CONTROL, IF THE RABBITS ARE AT ALL UNDER THE WEATHER THEN THEY CAUSE A PROBLEM. HAY IS THE USUALE CULPRIT AND THERES NO OVOIDING THEM.SOME RABBITS REACT TO THEM MORE THAN OTHERS. VAL

lucycat said:
Find this mites business confusing. Last time I took Dyl and Silks the vet found mites on both they showed orange and I definately saw them when he put them on my fingers and they move albeit slowly.

This time vet insisted they were microscopic so who knows????

They are unsure whether Dyl has mites but said they needed to treat both and I needed to treat hutches and hoover a lot.

First time vet said it was an immunity thing and that some were more prone. It definately caused dyls coat to go dull also some funny patching where bits had fallen out plus his eyes were runny as were his ears.

When you took them for the orange mites was it anywhere around the July to September period? The reason I ask is that during that time buns can get Harvest Mites from plants and stuff in the garden - they usually collect around the nose and eyes or the ears where they have brushed against them. We use vaseline or baby oil to clean them off and then appy more vaseline or baby oil to smother the ones that are left. Harvest mites die off in September so are no problem after that.

Find this mites business confusing. Last time I took Dyl and Silks the vet found mites on both they showed orange and I definately saw them when he put them on my fingers and they move albeit slowly.

This time vet insisted they were microscopic so who knows????

They are unsure whether Dyl has mites but said they needed to treat both and I needed to treat hutches and hoover a lot.

First time vet said it was an immunity thing and that some were more prone. It definately caused dyls coat to go dull also some funny patching where bits had fallen out plus his eyes were runny as were his ears.

Back