• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I need health advice please.

Olly

Banned
Hello i have a pet rabbit named Oliver and it is snezzing all the time I have taken her to the vet 2 times for the same problem and they put her on meds. The first time i went they put her and alot of meds and it took like 1 and a half months for her to take it. When she sneezes white discharge comes from her nose. So just wanted some avise from someone. What should I do for her? :?:

It sounds as if your rabbit has snuffles. Unfortunatly it is very difficult to completely get rid of snuffles as the bacteria that cause it lodge in the nasal passages where it is difficult for the anti-biotics to reach it, although they can usually control the symptoms while the rabbit is taking them. Some rabbits have time in between bouts of snuffles where they are fine. Some rabbits have to stay on the anti-biotics permanently. I have one of these. She still snorts alot, but is otherwise happy and healthy. She isn't on baytril, but on penicillin injections once every three days. This is slightly less expensive than continually using baytril, and also means that if she has a bad attack I have something to fall back on. She has to take probiotics in her water to keep her digestive system functioning as Penicillin is bad for the organisms that need to live in the rabbits gut. This is why they can not take it orally.
It sounds as if your rabbit has already had quite a long course of anti-biotic. It might be worth asking your vet about an alternative, or about the injections.

Has your vet taken a nasal swab? Fortunately I've never had a bunny with these sorts of problems but I think I would expect the vet to take a swab to check exactly what they are dealing with??

Hiya :wave:

I agree that it does sound like anuffles. That said, here are a few questions for you that might help us to give you advice.

How old is Oliver-bun - how long have you had her and where did you get her from?
Did your vet say what he/she think was wrong with her? (can you remember if he or she mentioned snuffles/pasturella?)
Have the meds finished and li'l bunster is no better?
Where are you? - in the UK?

Nose rubs to Ollie-bun - how is she tonight?
wendy
xx

Snuffles in incureable and after the first lot of long term batril it usualy settles a bit. I would not recomend constant treatment save it for a bad episoid as they can become almost emune to the batril and of course is not good for them. As long as the rabbits doing everything as normal them leave be.When it gets bad then you would need more batril. It would be best to get the vet to do aswob then it can be tested for the correct treatment. val

Hey Olly, this is Amber. My username on here is Silvia. See, I told you the people on here were nice. :wink: Thank you for helping all you nice people! :p

Hehe sorry if I'm confusing you guys, I know Olly... Outside the computer that is. :lol:

Sounds like pasturella. My bun has this, white discharge and sneezing. Antibiotics didn;t so anything but i have been putting echanachea (SP) drops in his water and it may e a complete coincidence but he is soo much better.

His overall health is good, eats very alert etc...

I would just use the Baytril when your bun gets bad, i have also had a nasel swab done and get the results today!

I have a bun with snuffles /pasturella, in the early days baytril seem to keep it at bay for a month or two but he had a really bad do about 10wks ago and I actually thought I was going to lose him but he went on penicillin injections every 2 days which helped but he as to have them every other day now and it is really helping him as he as put on his weight he lost and is back to his old self (thank god). Baytril did work in the early days, However I would have to agree with what everybody else as said and go back to your vets and perhaps have a nasal swab.
Good luck and give her a hug from me.

This is Olly, sorry I havn't written but I didn't get the activation notice when I changed my e-mail so I had to make a new account. Thanks for all your help.

No oliver has not had a nasal swab. I had her for about 4 months and she is probliy a bit older than that. I got her from a store called Pet Care. The vet said she probliy has an incurable disease or alleriges or the snuffles :cry: .Yes she finished her meds but she is not any better. I live in Delaware.Thank you for all your help.Where do you give the bunnies shots? I'm not sure what medicine they put me on but it didn't work. Would I have to get injections?

Chances are your vet would have given you antibiotics such as batril, this is usualy given oraly. If this has not worked you should go back and have a swab done then if its snuffles he can test for the best antibiotics to give. A very long course will be needed. this cannot be cured but should make your rabbit temererily better. At intervals he may need to have more treatment if he gets bad again. Rabbits can go a long time being not to bad with this, and antibiotics is only used when they have a bad bought of it. val

Back