• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Giving antibiotics through a syringe....

Camellia

Warren Scout
I've gotta give Kaiser (My bun) antibiotics through a syringe two times a day for the next 5 days. After giving it to him on the first day....I erm, learned that it's not that easy lol. We made a HUGE mess, on the table....on my clothes...on his fur.....He does not like the taste of that stuff. (I though, think it smells like a vanilla milkshake lol)

Anywho, does anyone have any tips that will make these next 5 days a little bit easier?

Try and wrap him in a towel so he is nice and tight and can't move. Then put the syringe in the side of his mouth where there is not any teeth.

It's not easy but once your have mastered it you will be well away.

Hope your bunny is well soon

Maureen

Hmmmmm tried the towel yesterday, he kept getting his head in the towel and hiding his face. Maybe it wasn't tight enough, just tried it again and we got most of it in except for some that dribbled onto his lips (he licked it off though...o_O) Or maybe he just decided he wants to turn into my little angel :D .....heh, fat chance :p
Thanks.....He'll be fine :)

I kneel down on the floor,put bunny between my legs,so they cant struggle backwards leen over them and hold there head up and put syringe in there mouth,works for me everytime!
What sort of antibiotic is it (that smells like milkshake?)

It's an antibiotic...Yeah I never heard of it until the vet gave it to me either :? I trust her judgement though, she's a great bunny vet :)

Baytril seems to be pretty popular!
Never used it though.....This is the first antibiodic i've ever given a bunny (Haven't had them for too long)

hi

I've been giving Maa baytril dripped on a piece of cabbage leaf - she took it no problem (tried the towel thing on day one :roll: ) - is your rabbit used to eating greens at all?

Re: hi

elve said:
I've been giving Maa baytril dripped on a piece of cabbage leaf - she took it no problem (tried the towel thing on day one :roll: ) - is your rabbit used to eating greens at all?
Tried that with mine,only worked the first time,they wouldnt even sniff it when i tried again and they all love food!

I have found the easiest way to syringe my bunny medicine is to put him in the position that makes bunnies go into a trance, pick him up, flip him over so that his tummy is facing upwards and hold his back legs securely. You will be kind of cradling him with one arm. Hope you understand what I mean by this, if not maybe other people could describe it a bit better. Once the bunny is in this position, they won't move at all and giving the medicine is easy, I can hold him like this with one arm and give the medicine with the other quite easily. Hope this helps.

Heh, I tried that for the first go, I put some parsley in front of Keiser and put just a TINY drop of the antibiotic on it....He was disgusted :p
Wow, vanessa, I never knew rabbits could be put into a trance! That sounds like it would be the easiest way, I wont have to use much force to hold him. I will try that tonight

vanessa said:
I have found the easiest way to syringe my bunny medicine is to put him in the position that makes bunnies go into a trance, pick him up, flip him over so that his tummy is facing upwards and hold his back legs securely. You will be kind of cradling him with one arm. Hope you understand what I mean by this, if not maybe other people could describe it a bit better. Once the bunny is in this position, they won't move at all and giving the medicine is easy, I can hold him like this with one arm and give the medicine with the other quite easily. Hope this helps.
Hmmm, :? :? not too keen on 'trancing' buns. Recent research suggests it actually causes bun to go into a state of terror rather than pleasure. The bun is effectively 'playing dead' in the hope that the 'predator' will drop him and he can make his escape. I would not 'trance' any of my buns. Just my opinion though!! :D :D Jane and Bunsxx

Hmmm, not too keen on 'trancing' buns. Recent research suggests it actually causes bun to go into a state of terror rather than pleasure. The bun is effectively 'playing dead' in the hope that the 'predator' will drop him and he can make his escape. I would not 'trance' any of my buns. Just my opinion though!!

Hmmmmmm. That seems logical, actually. I don't want to risk purposely scaring my baby :( It already makes him angry enough....Forcing him to eat that yucky stuff :shock:

Whenever I've had to give baytril I've mixed it with a little Ribena (the vet told me to do this!) as apparently it's very bitter so the ribena makes it taste better. Don't know if the same would apply to the drug you're giving though.

No - if you put him into a trance and then the med goes "down the wrong hole" (technically, down the trachea instead of the oesophagus - actually, towards the lungs instead of towards the tum), he might not be "with it" enough to cough it up.

For this reason, I wouldn't trance mine unless things were desperate (and then if it were THAT desperate, they wouldn't need trancing) - I go for the between the knees facing away (so they can only reverse TOWARDS you) to give meds.

Again, just my opinion, but i hope bun is soon giving you a very hard time when you try to give him med, as that's a sure sign of improvement :D

Good luck - I admit that ususally ask for help :oops: :oops: :oops:

when i had to give willow baytril, there was no way i could get the syringe anywhere near his mouth.

Instead i squirted it on some raspberry leaves (his fave treat) and let him eat those along will a couple of non-baytril raspberry leaves :wink: . luckily he took it that way

Back