• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sizes of indoor hutches

sassy_chimp

Young Bun
Hello all,
I am in a situation now with a new job that I am not seeing my rabbit as much as I need to, the thoughts of rehoming her have been running through my head, but feel I owe her more than that. So....... I have been thinking about bringing her in, esp with the winter and then I would get to spend time with her in the evening. Looking at indoor cages, they all seem so small, does anyone know of any 'larger' ones? She is a dutch, and quite big. We don't have a great deal of space inside though, catch 22 (Is that the saying?)
Hope you hear from you experts soon :D
Thanks in advance. xx

Unless someone local to me, is looking for a lovely female dutch and can offer a forever home?

hi

it depends if she's going to have the run of a room for a few hours a day - if so then a 2x4 cage or dog crate will be fine - they sleep all day and have a bit of a spree morning and evening (and sometimes at 4am so I'm told!) Is she litter trained? If not then you should confine her to her crate or cage for a few days till she gets the idea - put her hay in the box and use paper or wood based litter....Having said that, if she's unspayed she may spot wee around as a territory thing - my Tia does - it all depends how houseproud you are (I gave up a few months ago :roll: :lol: )

The other thing would be to look at 2 storey hutches. Some of them have quite posh looking designs that would be okay inside. That was you're not taking up lots of floor area but she still has lots of space :)

dog crates are fab. Im getting a playpen to add to it so that they have a run attached. Others have put in shelves to give more space too
I got my dog crate from ebay for £50

Hiya :wave:

Like Tamsin says, the two storey ones are good for giving buns plenty of space while taking up less room. That's what Mango and Chutney have indoors - it's one of those with a square run underneath (about 4ft x 4ft), and the hutch above it is 4ft by 2ft. To be honest, they don't use it very much during the day, as they prefer to sit out in the middle of the rug, but it's great to have in that it's "their" space for their litter tray (ok for them to throw hay around in there!), and they always go in and upstairs to "bed" after pellet o'clock :lol: :lol:

I use a large dog crate for my buns. They aren't yet bonded, (Arent neutered yet) But once they are, it's going to be a two story cage with a ramp connecting the two floors. Right now there is no connection, just a top and bottom floor. Like Dideen, I have a play pen sort of thing that is attatched to the crate so that they can go in and out of their cages. The door is cut in half (Since it has two latches) so that each bunny can have time out of their cage (The bun on top floor gets down with a ramp)
It doesn't seem to take up too much room, either. It works very well :)

i have a ferplast 100 but hes out most of the time so its adequate for tray and food and the essential hammock.
ideally at somepoint we will get a 120.
personlly im not keen on the *look* of the dig crates, but they are great functionally and relatively cheaper....

and they can be fitted with shelves etc!

I too have a dog crate and think its wonderful! :D Sophie lives in the living room, and the dog crate is very open and means she can see us all the time, whereas a hutch is quite dark inside as there are only windows at the front.

Plus a dog crate is sooooo much easier to clean (imo) :)

Thank you for all your replies, seems as though dog crates are a good opition. Don't they become really messy though?

Does anyone have any pics, that you wouldn't mind sharing, just so I can get the idea and pass on to show the OH :roll:

Thanks for your time in replying. x

I have one of these type indoor cages.. you can get them in quite big sizes I think.. mines not huge but then Sooty is a dwarf and is only 3mths old and when I'm at home he has the run of the conservatory.

1stattempt070.jpg

There are a few people who have posted piccies of their dog crates on here... I know that sophiemarimon is one of them, so if you pm her, im sure she wouldnt mind showing you!

My crate doesnt get messy cus sophie refuses to have anything on the bottom (hay etc) so it takes me literally 5 mins to clean! :D

loopylop said:
There are a few people who have posted piccies of their dog crates on here... I know that sophiemarimon is one of them, so if you pm her, im sure she wouldnt mind showing you!

My crate doesnt get messy cus sophie refuses to have anything on the bottom (hay etc) so it takes me literally 5 mins to clean! :D

I thought that mine were the 'odd ones out'! Mine don't like anything on the floor of their hutch - just newspaper!

its 1 hutch with ramps going to all levels, we have the ability to close off sections, so if one of the buns is unwell they can still be with the others only in there own section, so they dont then fall out when they get back together.

No we had it built to our spec by a local company, it cost £400, and has canstors on the base so it can be moved around for cleaning etc.

Soon we will be offerign the ability to have hutches built to customer specs and sent flatpacked on pallets. We even have a wendy house conversion in the pipeline with a play section on the floor, enclosed ramp runing around the walls to the top sleeping level. Once a prototype is up and made more info will be availible.

I can see it now - the Bunnybasics annual unveiling of 'this years hutch!' (bells whistles and fanfares :eek: ) - Put your name on the waiting list now as I bet there will be one for stuff like that - meanwhile we can only dream :D

The only indoor cage our rescue recommends is available from Germany and is a similar size to the Ferplast rabbit 140 (at least 5 feet by 2 feet) but this one is way way cheaper than the ferplast version and is also a much better design too, having doors on the side as well as the top. We have a bunny housed in it in the house at the moment and its very spacious for a single bun or small pair of buns. There is ample room for litter tray, bowls and toys and being a plastic bottomed/wire topped effort, its dead easy to clean out. You can find a link to the shop here:

http://www.zoostore.de/

The one you want is the XXL Nagerkäfig RABBIT 140

I dont know how to add photos I'm afraid but there is a picture of it, which doesnt do justice to the sheer size of the thing, on the shops website.

Hope this helps

Back