• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what happened to the welfare

luvabun

Warren Veteran
Not long after I first joined this site (just over a year ago) there were a number of rabbit welfare initiatives and I'm wondering what happened to them. Has any progress been made? Thanks to my senior moments :shock: I can only remember
1. a survey which went out to rescues (senior mement again - can't recall what it was about or what the aim was) :oops:
2. an initiative organised by Tam whereby rescues would work with pet shops.

Hiya,

Yep, the survey went out. I was hoping the people that orginally did the survey about 5yrs ago would get back to me with how they calculated the total so we could compare the two - still waiting for that.

Some of the replies have already been useful though. Lots of new rescues have joined up and started advertising on RR and RR has helped out them with bits and pieces. Several of the rescues that benefited from the raffle were ones that got intouch through it :D I'll dig out the results, I think I've posted bits and pieces but I'll stick a post together with everything in. It's handy when arguing cases too - the letter I sent to support Bracknell pointed out the lack of facilities compared with neighbouring counties and the numbers of rabbits.

Rescues & petshops - this is more difficult as it needs the rescue to do it, I can help but not do it for them :) The petshop folder seem to be working well, according to the shop owner they still get lots of people looking at it. which if nothing else makes people aware of rabbits in rescues. I'm hoping I've found a rescue that will be able to sort out a petshop with they'll be replacing pet shop rabbits with rescue - still got to talk the shop into it tho. It took a couple of months for the information from america to arrive :)

I keep intending to write blog entries with updates on this sort of stuff so people know things are going on, I keep forgetting though :oops:

Tam

Can I ask, of those surveys that you have received, how many of the buns originated from that large pet shop chain :?:

Cant remember fully what was in the survey but did any of the rescues say whether the buns had been sexed wrongly by the pet shops :?:

hhhmmmm, I would be interested to know regarding the sexing of rabbits as I have heard of 3 cases in my area where the same petshop had sexed the rabbits wrongly (not that large chain store but another one that I found that opened 2 years ago, I have a feeling that my area may start to to increase with unwanted buns :( :roll: )

Back