• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

neautering - stitches

**Bonnie**

Mama Doe
Hi all,

was just talking to my vet about getting Alfie neauted and he said that I will have to come back later and have the stitches out. Is this a really backward way of doing it as my friend got desposible ones for her bun.

I really dont want to have to change vets as this one knows Alfie now!

is this okay and when they take the stitches out is it really sore for them??

thanks

all my bunnies have had disposable ones though when i got mo done he ad to go back for a check up none of the others were asked to go back for check ups

lisa

Hiya. :D It is purely an individual vets choice as to whether they use disposable sutures or not. It really wont affect how wee Alfie's......errhumm......' :oops: :oops: bits' heal!! And its a good idea to have a post op' check up. Did you ask your vet if he would be prepared to use disposable sutures....?? :? Its your money so you have every right to ask. And if he says 'no' ask why!! Dont be affraid to ask questions of your vet, most of them dont bite!! :shock: :lol: Have you had Alfie's nasal swab results back yet..?? :? Jane and Bunsxx

Hi Jane,

Thanks!

The vet called me quickly to say that his results will not be back until Sat or Monday - they were supposed to be back today!! am dying to know the results although deep down i know it is pasturella but he seems so healthy otherwise and putting weight on im hoping its something else (wishful thinking)

Anyway, on the phone to him i quickly asked if he feels i can neature Alfie and he said most definately although lets wait for the results before booking him in, he then mentioned about taking stitches out ten days later and i didn't think to ask but i will when he calls back.

Alfie has started to circle me constantly and last night, for the first time, he did this little grunt and then sprayed - its definately time for the chop :lol:

Alfie kennedy said:
Hi all,

was just talking to my vet about getting Alfie neauted and he said that I will have to come back later and have the stitches out. Is this a really backward way of doing it as my friend got desposible ones for her bun.

I really dont want to have to change vets as this one knows Alfie now!

is this okay and when they take the stitches out is it really sore for them??

thanks

I had to take Barney back on Monday to have his stitches checked they said they should come out by this Friday, its only the inside stitch that is dissolvible, the bit you see is not,

I was told by my vet to see if I could pull them out myself if I can't then to take him back on Monday, ( I may take him with me to the doc's tomorrow iv'e got to have my stitches taken out of my head :lol: :lol:) :cry: :cry:

Ali and Barney :)

Alfie kennedy said:
Hi Jane,

Thanks!

The vet called me quickly to say that his results will not be back until Sat or Monday - they were supposed to be back today!! am dying to know the results although deep down i know it is pasturella but he seems so healthy otherwise and putting weight on im hoping its something else (wishful thinking)

Anyway, on the phone to him i quickly asked if he feels i can neature Alfie and he said most definately although lets wait for the results before booking him in, he then mentioned about taking stitches out ten days later and i didn't think to ask but i will when he calls back.

Alfie has started to circle me constantly and last night, for the first time, he did this little grunt and then sprayed - its definately time for the chop :lol:
Yeh, the Bacteriology Culture results can take time to come back cos they have to let the bugs grow then test their sensitivity/resistance to various antibiotics. It does make me laugh when a buck circles and grunts. :D I have an old boy who, even though he's neutered, still grunts away when I am in his pen cleaning it. :D Men.. :roll: they all have a one track mind... :roll: or possibly two if you take their food into account!! :lol: :lol: Jane and Bunsxx

still grunts away when I am in his pen cleaning it. Men.. they all have a one track mind... or possibly two if you take their food into account!

haaaa!!! i must say it did make me chuckle and i thought "my little boy is growing up" i am soo sad some times!!

will be interesting to see what the results say, have a gut instinct that no matter what antibiots i try it will be the same - hey ho, as long as he's happy!

Ali - you had me in stitches..get it!! ok i'll get my coat.....
What an earth did you do to your head??

Thanks val - i think i will stick to my vet then - just wanted to check with everyone that he wasn't doing it in a very old fashioned way!

Bonnie

Hi Bonnie

I had a lump cut out of my head last Tuesday, and tomorrow I have the stitches out, and another lump cut out next Friday the 2nd Dec.

Barney and me have been feeling sorry together this week keeping each other company :D

I just hope they don't hurt when they come out :lol: read a previouse post where they say that they pull :cry:

Ali and Barney

Barney and me have been feeling sorry together this week keeping each other company

I just hope they don't hurt when they come out read a previouse post where they say that they pull

Hope you both feel better soon!!

Thank you, I don't know why I posted it twice sorry (brain not working )

Ali and Barney :lol:

My old vet used some form of glue to keep the wounds together on Elvis and we had no problems what so ever, the new one though used disposable stitches. He said he didnt like to use one that need taking out on such a small animal as it could be hard to get them out again.

Both buns had to go back 7days later for a check up :D

My vet used normal stitches when Dudley was done, but I think it must be down to preference as the same vet does the most brilliant bunny spay with internal sutures so I'm not that fussed really. I almost wonder if they do it deliberately because it forces people to come back? Maybe some less enlightened pet owners don't take them back for their checks, so they use "needs to have his stitches out" as an excuse?? Maybe, I don't know, just a thought! In any case, Dudley had already pulled all his stitches out by the time of his 3 day check so it didn't make any difference :lol:

Ali said:

:shock: :shock: Hope doc didn't take it out with the lump!! :shock: :lol: :lol: Hope your poor head isnt too sore!! Jane and Bunsxx

JCO said:
Ali said:

:shock: :shock: Hope doc didn't take it out with the lump!! :shock: :lol: :lol: Hope your poor head isnt too sore!! Jane and Bunsxx

:lol: :lol: Ah you have made me laugh so much thank you Jane and Buns :p

hi

when the vet neutered my guinea pig I asked the receptionist if I had to come back and get the stitches out - she said in 10 days so back I traipsed, to be told by the vet that she always uses dissolvable ones - they are not only dissolvable but invisible - she uses a special technique that makes sure the stitches are inside, so they can't even get a hold of the stitches to chew them - brilliant!

I think you should ask your vet - if they chew them it is dangerous.

Will do thanks Elve..

he said he has neatured hundreds of rabbits so must do some kind of technique but will ask him

Bonnie

Back