• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

New lovers

flump

New Kit
I have recently adopted a girlfriend for my lop and they have fallen in love completly. :)
I have noticed the fur on Rita's shoulders is becomming very thin. I have a feeling it's to do with Flump mounting her all the time. :?
Apart from seperating them, is there anything anyone can suggest to stop Rita from becomming bald!

How long does the honeymoon period usually last...... they've been together over a month and half now, and it's starting to be a bit embarressing when people visit.

Aww :lol: It should settle down gradually though they tend to still do it occationally even after they've been together years. Of course they'll always pick the time you have visitors ;) It really depends on the bunnies I would think over the next month they should settle more. Younger bunnies (under 12-18months tend to be more bouncy and less laid back. You might find after her spay he's settle more too as she'll smell different to him.

There isn't really much you can do to stop the baldness - my bun Alfie has had all his whiskers chewed off by his misses. You can try distracting them with plenty of toys.

Best wishes,
Tamsin

I got a female lop for my male dutch about two months ago and they really love each other too. We are at work in the day and I have noticed sometimes there is a small clump of hair on the floor when we get home. Maybe he mounts her like yours does.

balding bunny

I too find clumps of fur when I get home from work, but the strange thing is, it's always Flumps fur i find and not Rita's :?:

Another thing I noticed about him is that when he's feeling amorous he sometimes digs on her, so I wonder if that's to do with her fur thining.

Back