• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I've never heard a rabbit wheeze before....

Pollux

New Kit
Is it sort of like a whistling sound as the rabbit breathes? My Pollux has started breathing loudly, with sort of a whistling sound. He's perfectly normal every other way, though. Any ideas?

Hi! Welcome to the forum!

I think he maybe needs to see a vet to get checked out - it could be a respiritory problem. Has he been sneezing at all? You can check the inside of his paws to see if they're matted, if they are, it's an indication he's got a runny nose or runny eyes.

Is there a particular time you hear him wheezing? Is it after he's been running around or while he's eating, or all the time?

Nope, no runny eyes, nose, or matted paws. He's tending to do it when he's more when he's excited.....Though if I listen closely I can hear the little whistle, barely, though.
How serious is a resp. infection?
I can't take him until around Saturday, I have too many appointments in the next couple of days. If you think it could get serious quickly though, I will cancel and rebook my a couple appointments to bring Pollux down...

Just wondering, how old is he? If he's not neutered it could be he's just making honking noises, they sound quite low like humming/ wheezing? Especially if he's doing it when he's excited... It's usually a low noise rather than a high whistle noise though... It means he's reached sexual maturity and isn't anything to worry about!

Respiratory infections can be serious, but can be treated well with antibiotics. Rabbits are good at hiding when they're ill as they're prey animals, and they can go downhill quickly. My rabbit has had one and he was wheezing but also had discharge from his nose and was eating less...

Have you looked up his nose to see if there is anything stuck? He could just have a piece of straw stuck up his nose...

I'd suggest you phone your vet just now and describe the noise, see whether they advise bringing him in right away.

Sorry I can't be of more help, I hope it's nothing serious. You could try messaging JCO or Jaypot, they both have a lot of experience of rabbits.

xx

Back