• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Maya is home from the vets

JIMGRACIE

Mama Doe
I was really worried about Maya as i hadn't heard anything. Mum rang the vets about 3.30pm. And i was right they had done Mayas surgery, and then had an emergency come in, so they got their priorities right and work on the emergency case. The vet nurse rang me an hour later and apologised and explained.

I picked Maya up at 5.50pm, and the vet was very helpful. The castration went well, and got to do the usual...keeping it clean, etc. Hes going to see the vet nurse for check up Monday.

The tear ducts were a little more complecated. His right tear duct was fine, they flushed it and loadsa gunk came out, but the left the vet couldn't get the cafitor in (can't spell, sorry!!). The vet said its probably too thickj or there is some swelling of the tear duct itself. So eye drops for a week, and baytril and see if they can clear it again, next Wednesday.

Poor, Maya is sulkng BIG time. As soon as i put him back in his hutch he went into the shredded paper and made a bed from it. Hes still very groggy and hasn't eaten too much, (the vet nurse gave him some recovery food before he came home, and he has pood proper poos so the vets really pleased.

He is probably feeling rough because hes lost his bits, and because he has two bald patches on both his ears. I mean he must feel a little ashamed of being seen by anyone. :oops:

Gracie and animals x

Awwwww Maya. A good nights sleep for you my boy and you'll be a much brighter bunster tomorrow. Glad he's safely home with you!! Jane and Bunsxx

Hell be back to normal soon :) , although it can depend on the amount of anesthetic he had, ive noticed this when i had my vet changed. My previous vet had got it down to a fine art and the rabbits were ready for me to pick up in the afternoon. When our new vet took over i had three rabbits castrated and i was concered at there drowsiness, one even stoped eating and looked rough for a couple of days. After conceltation with her things have got a lot better and the rabbits are coming round much sooner. As long as hes eating by the morning hell be fine. If not then use the recovery powder but if done right he should not need it. val

I hope Maya has eaten something. Try finding some dandelion leaves tomorrow, that usually works :D It usually doesn't take the boys long to bounce back. (I have a Maya that is a doe, so you confused me for a minute :lol: )
I just saw Rowan eat some of his soggy pellets. He was done today too, poor lad, plus a dental on the most overgrown teeth they had ever seen - at least that the vet nurse had ever seen. I was really worried about him as he is really thin and has been badly neglected. I am so relieved it is done, and I bet you are too.

Thanks everyone, for your kind words.

Maya is doing good today, he is still a little grumpy with me. Hates the syringe, and its quite hard to see his little mouth because its all black. But once hes had the baytril hes licking his lips - :lol:

Jane - you know i never worried as much when Bindi went to be spayed. Guess i kinda felt that Maya deserved more then he has had in life. If that makes sense? I couldn't wait to cuddle him.

Doorkeeper - Maya is a fussy little man when it comes to fresh vegetables. But we know he loves carrot tops. Hes eaten them today!! He won't eat veg unless its in his food bowl. His bowl has been moved around quite a bit but not a lot of mix has been eaten. But he has pood so something is going through. Sorry, for the confusion. My fella named him.
I read about Rowan. Hes gorgous and i bet hes really happy that he found his way to you. Send him a cuddle from me.

Here is a pic of Maya, taken tonight. Don't worry the iron is ancient, doesn't work, and he only sniffed it!!

PB230001.jpg

Gracie and animals x

Maya is adorable, and we are very pleased to hear he has recovered from his op.
Please give him a snuggle from me :)
Best wishes

Maya back from vets - UPDATED

Mr Bunbun (aka Maya) had a very exciting day. I booked him an appointment 6pm, but i noticed that there was loads of traffic the other day, because of road works. So i decided to take Mr Bunbun with me just incase i got stuck in the traffic. So Mr. Bunbun came to work with me, and then to the supermarket and then we sat in the car park of the vets for 15 mins, having a cuddle.

He then had his tear ducts flushed again. Last time the right eye was blocked and the vet couldn't get anything out, but this time they did. So the eye drops worked. Hes going back in two weeks again to see if they have stayed clear.

PB270135.jpg

The picture was taken Monday. Its ten times clearer then the last i posted. ENJOY!!

Gracie and animals x

Hope Mr Bunbun fills in a time sheet to claim his pay for his day at work!!! :lol: :lol: He has been a busy boy. Glad his eyes are improving.Jane and Bunsxx

My manager didn't even know he was there. I just popped him into one of the spare hutches. She'll never know :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gracie and animals x

Mr Bun (aka Maya) has the grump today. I think he might be feeling a little down after the tear duct flushing yesterday. He is eating though, so i guess he just doesn't want any fuss.

My poor bun.

Gracie and animals x

Back