• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Breeders Reject......

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Apparently Hal is 'not good enough' :roll: :roll: :evil: He would like to say that as far as his previous owner(the breeder) is concerned the feelin's mutual and good ridence!! Jane and Bunsxx
rabbits832.jpg

Awww bless him he's gorgeous, my little Dudley is also a breeders reject, just look at his 'massive ears' :roll:

dudley.jpg

JCO we will never get bored of your photos - keep 'em coming!!

AlisonA said:
Awww bless him he's gorgeous, my little Dudley is also a breeders reject, just look at his 'massive ears' :roll:

dudley.jpg

JCO we will never get bored of your photos - keep 'em coming!!
Oh yeh, I mean 'massive ears' are sooooooo terrible!! Small ears...massive ears...no ears...it matters not ALL bunsters are wonderful!! :D :D Your bun's a real cutie :love: Jane and Bunsxx

I would love another rex I recently had to have mine pts. I got mine because somebody dumped him out side my pet shop in a indoor cage when it was raining. He was soaked when we found him but such a cuties. I really like rexes now

aawww he's a beauty!! I always call Simba a reject cos he certainly looks nothing like a lionhead is supposed to look like. But he is my handsome reject :D

JCO said:
AlisonA said:
Oh yeh, I mean 'massive ears' are sooooooo terrible!! Small ears...massive ears...no ears...it matters not ALL bunsters are wonderful!! :D :D Your bun's a real cutie :love: Jane and Bunsxx

I was thinking that when observing my bunnies today. Bobby has loppy ears, Ruby huge uppy ears and squidgy tiny uppy ones, but I love them all, and can't say which I prefer, as they are all so gorgeous. Hal is just soooo handsome!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaw, Jane, he is soooooo handsome. I will never understand as long as I live this idea of the "breed standard"!!! Crikey!!!!! If it applied to human beings, let's face it, there would be very few folks left on this earth!!!!! It's a bit like Hitler and his ideal race isn't it? If the SS came to check my buns, I guess they'd all be heading for the concentration camps now but thank heavens that is not the world we live in!!!! :)

I have pedigrees- try this-

My first was 'too dark'
My second was 'too soft'
My third is the wrong colour completely.

But I love them!

If we didn't have breed standards, that good reputable breeders work towards (not these 'back yard, churn anything out breeder'), then we would eventually lose such beautiful breeds as the netherland dwarf for example, which is famous for its cobby type and tiny ears.
Using an example earlier..if long eared netherland dwarfs are constantly bred from (ie then not sticking to the breed standard) then the ears will constantly get bigger and bigger, and the rabbits would, over the generations, become less and less typy, and therefore the features that make the lovely netherland dwarf would be lost.

When breeding a netherland dwarf litter from good quality (ie parents that resemble their breed standard) parents, you do occasionally get a baby that is too big/long ears/ mismarked/wrong shade etc.
These bunnies are perfectly healthy, and make excellent pets, so a rehomed to good loving pet homes. A responsible BRC breeder will not just breed from these rabbits, as they know they will not breed babies that will be close to the standard, therefore retaining the beautiful breeds we see today.

There is nothing wrong in rehoming a 'reject' as some of you like to call them, and infact, as i have said, responsible breeders will ensure these go to good homes, where they will be pets and not bred from for the sake of it (i.e. breeding from it will not contribute to the conservation and improvement of that breed).

It is breeders who don't breed for a purpose (the BRC standard) that really anger me.

I see where you're coming from, but the trouble with breed standards is that they don't necessarily define what's best for the bunny, do they? I'm not so good with rabbit breeds but think about persian cats, bulldogs etc. The breed standard requires what is in effect, a squashed face. This causes these animals all kinds of health problems and suffering, and why? For the sake of man's vanity, not because it's any good for the animal. I'm sure there are several bunny examples - dwarf lops and nethies being prone to dental problems, belgian hares being quite delicately boned, belgian hares and rexes having feet problems etc...

I have to say that Dudley was actually bought by the breeder as a stud bunny, but when she realised that his babies had 'long' ears too, she offered him as 'free to good home'. Having made absolutely no checks about me whatsoever and in fact just agreeing to leave him in a cage for me to collect whilst she was at work, it seems to me that sometimes these bunnies are viewed as disposable when their services are no longer required, rather than as animals who deserve proper respect.

In that case, it is to do with how responsible that breeder is.

As for breeding to the standard, again, it boils down to how responsible the breeder is, and which rabbits he/she decided to breed from.

Back