• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice about Pneumonia please

Jaypot

Mama Doe
It's not for me but I know that recently one of you got your bun through this - a freind of mine has a British Giant who sounds as though he has this :(
He started on Sunday evening and was taken to the vets and given a steriod injection and some Engymycin - he seemed to stabilise overnight but on Monday evening he had to go to the vets again for another injection of Engymycin and some Metacam.
Yesterday he had more Engymycin and Metacam but his breathing is pretty poor :( He is struggling and holding up his head but not mouth breathing. My freind put the phone by the bun and I could hear him breathing, it was pretty bad.
I told her about Amenophyline that we use either in the nebuliser or the vet can administer and injection - this is to help open the airways.
The bun has not got an upper respiratory infection, it is definitely in his chest :( Oh yes, he was given a diuretic injection last evening as well.
Has anyone got any advice on the drugs that should/could be used? Any other tips please as this bun is a very special bun to his parents.
TIA

I would stick with daily injections of engemycin and metacam. If there is a lot of fluid it might be worth using bisolvon to help dry it up.
Is he drinking? If not I would administer plenty of sub cut fluids every 8 hours and keep him warm. Is he eating anything?

Cheryl

forgot to mention olbas oil on a tissue near his cage will help him aswell. If he isnt responding to the engemycin try switching to Marbocyl

Right, thanks for that Cheryl - as for him eating and drinking he is doing well with those - thank goodness - he is still quite lively and was moving around after his mum and dad :D
I won't know anything until tonight when we phone her - I really hope that this boy can get through this :?

Jaypot said:
Right, thanks for that Cheryl - as for him eating and drinking he is doing well with those - thank goodness - he is still quite lively and was moving around after his mum and dad :D
I won't know anything until tonight when we phone her - I really hope that this boy can get through this :?

Oh good, it cant be that bad if he is still eating and drinking :D, they obviously caught it early. Hope he gets better soon.

Cheryl

Oh poor big bun :cry: It's a wee bit worrying that he is stretching his neck as even though he's not mouth breathing this is often more indicative of an obstructive (hate to use the word,but tumour sort of problem). Was his pneumonia diagnosed on presenting symptoms/chest auscuation or by chest x-ray? My now over 'The Bridge' Finn presented with respiratory distress extended neck etc mimicking pneumonia but was still bright and eating/pooping and was not febrile. Chest x-ray revealed a massive Thymoma (tumour). Really hope your friends bun does NOT have anything like this and that he will pull through. Jane and Bunsxx

JCO said:
Oh poor big bun :cry: It's a wee bit worrying that he is stretching his neck as even though he's not mouth breathing this is often more indicative of an obstructive (hate to use the word,but tumour sort of problem). Was his pneumonia diagnosed on presenting symptoms/chest auscuation or by chest x-ray? My now over 'The Bridge' Finn presented with respiratory distress extended neck etc mimicking pneumonia but was still bright and eating/pooping and was not febrile. Chest x-ray revealed a massive Thymoma (tumour). Really hope your friends bun does NOT have anything like this and that he will pull through. Jane and Bunsxx

As far as I know he didn't have x-rays - the sounds where all in the chest and not upper so the vet said that he had a chest infection. On hearing the bun breathe down the phone last night and hearing about his stretching his neck both of us came to the conclusion that this was pneumonia :( We have both seen this before but the vet that she took him too is a bit - erm, how shall I put this? - let's just say that I have forgotten more than he knows about buns :x
I have had two buns with tumours in the neck and chest and you are right, it does mimic pnuemonia :( I hope to goodness it isn't this :(

Back