• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Kidney problems

Delphinum

Warren Scout
I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about kidney problems in rabbits. We've had a pair of bunnies come into rescue today, one of which has been signed off by the previous owner's vet as okay... but he's not. :(
He's the skinniest rabbit I've ever seen, his back end is soaked through and he's huddled up (as much as he can whilst trying to keep his bum off the ground). I'm going to try giving him arnica as a painkiller, but is there anything else we can do.
He's drinking water like mad, but he's just passing it through. He has nibbled some oats (I'm going to get some sunflower seeds to fatten him up too) but other than that isn't eating much.
I'm also taking him in to the vets tonight or tomorrow. Is there anything else we can do? We're keeping him in the heated shed just now as Celia can't keep him in the house with all the rescue dogs. :(

Oh the poor boy :cry: :cry: :cry:
He really needs to see the vet tonight if you can get there :( It could be kidney problems but it could also be Ec or a number of other things.
Can you pop him on some vet bed to help him dry off? This will also take away the wees that he does.
I would put a lot of probiotic in his water - if he is drinking lots but not eating much then the probiotics will help to feed him a bit.
It does sound as though he is in pain - obviously you can't give him anything until he sees the vet but I would try the arnica - if he's in such a state then I would try anything.
Can you get him a weetabix to see if he will try munching that?
I am sending all the positive and healing vibes that I can to this poor little man - give him a gentle cuddle from me - xxxxx

Thanks Jay. He needs alot of good thoughts his way! :cry:
We don't have any vet beds as far as I can see at Celias... would there be anything else we could use? Maybe a blanket or towels?
I never thought of Weetabix... I'll go and get some, I think I may bring the wee mite back home with me.
I think I will take him to the vets tonight. They open at 5 and I've 4 castrations to pick up... this'll be fun in a little Daihatsu YRV! LOL :lol: But I do think it's an emergency. :(
I'll let you know what the vet says!
Ang xx

I'd pop him on anything that will take away the wee from him and keep on changing it - I know it means a lot of washing but he is going to feel so cold with the wee soaking him all the time :(
It does sound nasty - how the hell could a vet declare him fit? Some vets ought to be put against a wall and shot :evil:
I think it's great that you are going to take him home - but I really would be prepared for a bad outcome by the sound of things.
I hope to goodness that this little man can get through this and live a long and healthy life - it's so unfair :cry: :cry: :cry: I just want to cuddle him and tell him he's alright now - I just hope that he has the strength to fight whatever it is. Tell him I love him too - maybe that will help if he knows that people are rooting for him :)

Awww, poor little thing :( . At least he'll be well looked after now and stand the best chance possible. Sending lots of snuggles.

Just a thought but he is a young bun so maybe he has an untreated urine infection....?? :? Obviously this would have the potential of damaging his kidneys but if it is infection then with treatment and your TLC it may not be such a poor prognosis. Dont suppose you have any Diastix do you....the ones used to test the wee. :? ?With antibiotics/pain relief and aggressive fluid therapy he just might make it .Oh I hope so. Poor little bun :cry: and b-l-o-o-d-y NAF vet to say bun was fit :roll: :roll: Jane and Bunsxx

I've got ketostix, but not diastix... so I suppose I can only test for ketones! :? I'm diabetic. I didn't know it was possible to buy diastix. Can you get them in Boots or a chemist? It'd be handy to have those.
We had a bun die of kidney probs a few months back, so I'm hoping this little guy is okay. He's about 2 years old I think, the person who handed them is is a friend of the owner, so I don't know actual details... at first we were told they were 2 does! :? Neutered buck and a doe actually.
Rescue is such fun you know! :roll: It really opens your eyes to people. Honestly, I can feel his backbone so prominently, it's like feeling knuckles... :cry: Hopefully the vet will be able to help him.

Delphinum said:
I've got ketostix, but not diastix... so I suppose I can only test for ketones! :? I'm diabetic. I didn't know it was possible to buy diastix. Can you get them in Boots or a chemist? It'd be handy to have those.
We had a bun die of kidney probs a few months back, so I'm hoping this little guy is okay. He's about 2 years old I think, the person who handed them is is a friend of the owner, so I don't know actual details... at first we were told they were 2 does! :? Neutered buck and a doe actually.
Rescue is such fun you know! :roll: It really opens your eyes to people. Honestly, I can feel his backbone so prominently, it's like feeling knuckles... :cry: Hopefully the vet will be able to help him.
Yep, you can buy the Multi-Stix GP OTC at pharmacies. Bit pricey....£12 for tub of 25 sticks :shock: :shock: But they test for blood/protien/glucose/ketones/specific gravity/PH/leucocytes and nitrites. If the lil' man has had a UTI for some time he would lose condition so just MAYBE it is that and his renal function has not yet been damaged and it's not EC......Some people....dont you just luv 'em...!! :roll: :roll: Jane and Bunsxx

We went to the vet last night and he says he is painfully thin, but that it's probably not another kidney infection. He thinks that the antibiotics that the bun had for his last kidney infection have flushed out the stomach, so he's on probiotics now and hopefully that'll help him.
He is eating, so *fingers crossed* he'll hopefully be okay! :thumb:
Thanks for all of your help!

hope he gets better soon Delph, you could use a few towels and then a fleece blanket on top, the fleece whicks the wet away not as good as vet bed but a suitable alternative

Delphinum said:
He's drinking water like mad, but he's just passing it through. He has nibbled some oats (I'm going to get some sunflower seeds to fatten him up too) but other than that isn't eating much.
. :(

drink lots of water is good, it filter his kidney, what's the color of his urine? Is it the greasy yellow-orange color or is it almost transaparent clear liquid color?

Back