• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Burnt toast/Ryvita

**Bonnie**

Mama Doe
Hi all,

Sorry but have another Q!

I heard that burnt toast is full of iron for buns - is this true and is it recommended or just as a treat.

Also, what about Ryvita?? I gave Alfie a tiny bit and he loved it!!

Any thoughts??

Thanks

Bonnie

Alfie kennedy said:
I heard that burnt toast is full of iron for buns

As far as I'm aware the only thing burnt toast is higher in than bread is carbon :)

A selection of veggies would be better, various ones have different vitamins in so feed variety is good - though of course anything new should be introduced gradually.

A bitful of toast/riveta shouldn't do any harm but it's not something that is particularly good for them :)

Tam

Thanks Tamsin.

Alfie loves crunchy things!!

i caught him crunching a boiled sweet the other day :shock: :shock: i tried to grab it off him and he kept running away! luckily he had only taken a tiny bit...

I got told by Zeus' breeder than burnt toast is great for building up rabbits and Zeus does love it although he prefers dried bread instead. I give this as a treat or use it to give medication on!

Bread is not recommended too often as it is high in sugar, salt etc.

Caz

Alfie kennedy said:
Thanks Tamsin.

Alfie loves crunchy things!!

i caught him crunching a boiled sweet the other day :shock: :shock: i tried to grab it off him and he kept running away! luckily he had only taken a tiny bit...

I'm sorry, I couldnt help but laugh at this! It sounds like something Sophie would do! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I could just imagine little bun sat there crunching away on their boiled sweeties!!!!! :lol:

She tries to eat EVERYTHING :shock: :!: :!: Naughty babbits! :lol:

Ha ha.... can just imagine a bunny chomping his way through a boiled sweet. We had to be really careful with our old house bun, Wokky, as she liked dried pasta... if you dropped a piece on the floor by mistake she was there like a hoover and it would be a real fight to get it back... bad bunnies.....

Yep, mine love Ryvita too, also mini shreddies and burnt toast. I only give it to them every now and again for a treat, or when I've been a bad bunny mummy and run out of greens!!! :oops: :oops:

I'm sorry, I couldnt help but laugh at this! It sounds like something Sophie would do! I could just imagine little bun sat there crunching away on their boiled sweeties!!!!!

esp as it was my last one :lol:

yes! Lola loves toast! she sits on the settee in the morning getting fed small bits of crust! she can smell it getting made and sits at the kitchen unit where the toaster is! Mischa doesn't like toast but Moet and Chandon also like a bit of toast and get it as an occassional treat! have not tried ryvita on them! Lola likes to nosy in at everything we're eating and jumps up on the sofa to see what we're eating and practically has her face in the plate! I'm convinced she was a dog in another life!
the book Rabbitlopaedia, Meg Brown and Virginia Richardson, does say that bread dried off/burnt is highly nutritious and good for the rabbit's teeth.

I'm not sure about burnt, but lightly toasted I had advised to me by East of England.

Sealy can smell it being made too. The bowls start rattling as soon as the toaster pops up.

Back