• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Does My Rabit HAVE to See the Vet....

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Right-oh, :D at the risk of incurring the wrath :shock: of some I wondered if now was a good time to start a thread where advice from experienced Bunster carers can recommend when it is necessary to seek veterinary attention for a bun. :? As we know a bun is seldom able to be 'left to see how they are in the morning'. I think new bun carers might find it helpful. It is just a bit upsetting to read posts which indicate a bun really needs veterinary attention and a loving but inexperienced carer is perhaps not aware how quickly the bun who may be 'a bit off colour' can become critically ill. When I first started to care for Rabbits I knew nothing about them. :shock: I should have been more responsible and done my research FIRST. :roll: :roll: There are so many knowledgable people on this Forum and to pool all that knowledge into a 'When Your Rabbit Needs to See the Vet NOW!!' sticky might be useful.....??? :? :D Jane and Bunsxx

Hi! I work by the 7 signs listed in "Living With a Houserabbit" which are:

1. rabbit strugglinng to breathe/ lips & tongue going blue
2. limp/ floppy/ cold rabbit
3. uncontrollable bleeding
4. flystrike
5. severe diarrhoea
6. fractured back or legs
7. rabbit in pain - hunched up, half closed eyes, grinding teeth

There's a list on the RWA website which is pretty much the same and with some good info:
http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/rwf/articles/emergenc.htm

it also adds:
8. rabbit not eating

Refusing food especially their favourite - always a sure sign for me when mine aren't at the front of their enclosure begging as I go past!

Gurgling/really noisy stomach (accompanies bloated abdomen and hunched posture)

Oh and "they just aren't acting like they normally do" - my vet makes his money off this one - that gut instinct that something isn't right - the bunny doesn't do something it normally does - seems unusually quiet I am sure we all know "that feeling". 9 times out of 10 I have been right and there has been something wrong!

Caz

When did everyone first take their Bunnys to the Vets?
I got Roxy when she was 2 1/2 months, she's now 5 months and i'm taking her for her first vets visit on Saturday.
She's not ill but i just want to get her checked over.
Also, should i ask the vet when she'll need her jabs?

Hiya. Do you have any history on Roxy e.g .if she has been vaccinated before? (just re-read your post and due to her age its unlikely). It should be the end of mozzie season now and some Vets may say that she does not need her myxi jab until spring next year. Do you have a dog or dogs though as well? Are they regularly de-flead (if there is such a word :roll: ) just things to consider when deciding whether to vaccinate or not.

Good luck with your cute furball! I hope she brings you much joy :D

I got her from Pets at home when she was 2 months and all they told us is that she was a girl, dwarf lop and they'd only had her in the actual store for a week or two but didn't give us any other info.

Back