• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

eek....This doesn't look good....

Camellia

Warren Scout
*edits post*

Just thought I'd say that the vet's told me that he has maloclusion. Only on his front bottoms though......So it'll only cost 20$ and will have to get his teeth done every 2 months...Well, coulda been worse :)

Hiya,

I'm afraid it will need a vet. Hopefully the vet should be able to burr his teeth down to normal using a special drill without needing to give him an aneathetic. Don't try and cut them yourself as this can make tthem shatter and damage the roots.

The vet will need to check his back teeth as well as over grown front teeth can sometimes indicate back tooth problems aswell.

It sounds like you haven't had him very long? If so it might be that feeding the correct diet will fix the problem otherwise he'll need to have his teeth done regularly (usually roughly every 6 weeks). If the problem does continue the other option is to have his front teeth extracted - rabbits can cope fine without them.

You'll need to get him to the vets asap as the teeth grow very quickly and will start growing into his lip if left untreated. He'll also be having difficulty eating. If left untreated it would be serious - it can cause a rabbit to starve to death but as you've spotted them problem the vet should sort him out :)

Best wishes,
Tamsin

Ah, ok, thanks. No, not too long, they're 8 months old though......I dunno I thought a timothy diet was what they needed? (I feed them timothy pellets and timothy hay for their main diet)

But anyways, thanks, will bring him to vet tomorrow.

Does he eat much of the hay? That's the stuff that will be wearing his teeth down. Timithoy pellets/hay is a good diet as long as it's mostly hay and just a small portion of pellets :) It might be he's knocked his tooth and that's caused it to grow at of line - the vet might be able to tell once he's burred it down.

Tam

Oh yes, they just love the hay lol

Yea, guess I'll see tomorrow...Getting silent treatment from him right now. He hates that I put a rabbit harness on him (Getting him used to it so i can take him outside)

Oh i decided what their names are
Grey is Kaiser (Name of an asteroid) and the himalayan is Cygnus (Name of a constelation) They match em ^^

Back