• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fur mites - anyone got any long term solutions?

lucycat

Warren Scout
Just brushed Dylan tonight and I reckon half his fur came out (or it seemed like it). When I looked it had gone all funny again dandruff and I reckon tho my eyesight isnt great its the mites back. You can see them dead tiny orange moving pin ******.

Last time he had ivermectin jab and spot on plus two more spot ons for two weeks then a check up. That was only a month ago. I felt a bit off put that I was driving him to vet (upsetting for him) for a spot on I could easily manage.

No doubt its another three week course and as they live together double it!

Does anyone know if you can get the stuff on line anywhere I spoke to one lady one of her rescue rabbits had to be done monthly????? Or is there an alternative - tea tree oil type thing??????

I think Bobmartin sell a rabbit spot on. I would only treat as needed (for the full course) these type of things are pesticides so I wouldn't like to treat weekly unless needed.

You vet may give you a syringe full - I get one when my rats need it... that would be even more for the vets :lol:

Tam

I would stick with the Advantage Spot On (from vets or get a prescription to get it from an online stockist). These are licensed for the animal concerned plus provide the strongest cover, that pet shop ones don't give.

One tube of the Advantage cured Princess' mites, I wonder if there is anything else the vet can recommend?

Nicola

Isn't Xenex ultra spot on also suitable for mites on rabbits? I've just gone to google and it looks like you can buy it online, don't know if it's the sort of thing they would sell in PaH? Certainly I can walk into my vets surgery and buy it.

Just wondering why the vet only gave one injection of ivamec. It sounds like a bad case it should have been three doses at weekly intervals. The spot on is not as good as the injections of ivamec. Once youve got it cleared there is a growing number of people including most of america that use listereen mouthwash. It works quite well on mild cases you use it like the drop on. val

Three doses of Ivermectin is needed my vet does two a week apart then the third 10-14 days after the second. This should always be the first line of attack if you suspect your rabbit has mites.

When Zeus' were really bad I also used a Gorgeous Guinea's oil soak to sooth the skin.

I now use a product called Mitex made by my father-in-laws company (I think you can now buy it in small bottles called "Puff the Magic Dragon" :roll: but don't quote me on it) which is completely natural and safe - originally made for chickens, it kills mites so I scatter a bit around their playhouses and occasionally use it like flea powder to keep Zeus' natural mite population down as he is so prone and "touch wood" he hasn't had a recent infestation! I wouldn't recommend it regularily as it looks like it could be very drying on their skin but it is the only thing that finally stopped the repeated infestations (at one point he was getting it bad every couple of months).

Caz

Well we are booked in at the vet on Friday so I shall raise my concerns and ask about options with him. Dylan was pretty clear of them after his check but they have obviously returned just as bad if not worse.

I like the idea of listerine cheap accessable easy!!!! You mentioned like a spot on. If I could regularly give him something to stop them building up I think this would be best rather than a dose of pesticide over three or four weeks.

You don't need to inject rabbits with Ivomec, they are small enough for a couple on drops on the skin at the back of the neck to be effective.

One thing that I found was antibacterial shampoo. Wash the affected patch only.

my bunny dylan caught these resiliant lice things off some field mice that invaded his hutch (all gone now thank god). they advantage didn't work after paying £14 i took him back and they gave him this really strong stuff which is toxic to cats. Not sure what it was called somthing like xXx, i'll check later when i get home!! but this worked a treat!!

Took Fudge to the vets today for her second out of three injections for the fur mites...............I've been wondering how likely they are to come back...my next load of questions for the vet!!!!! I too didn't like putting fudge through the car journey as she seemed very scared, although fine when at the vets, in fact she's been very good.!!!! App was at 3.20pm and shes still out, just having a snuggle before I put her back!
Will ask the vet next week about putting anything on fudge if they reappear! and about the long term!

Hiya
Xenex Ultra kills the mites(it's about £12 a pack), I took my in-laws bunny to vets as he had mites & large patch of dandruff on his back, it cleared it up really quickly & they haven't returned. It is toxic to cats :shock: Advantage for rabbits only kills fleas. What hay are you using?

Advantage does mites too cos got rid of Princess', her fur was missing on her ears and it grew back quickly after they had gone. All I used was Advantage.

Bindi said:
You don't need to inject rabbits with Ivomec, they are small enough for a couple on drops on the skin at the back of the neck to be effective.
The reason i advised the injectable is that if you have a bad case this is a better clear up rate than drops. Listereen can be used regularly because it is harmless so once the bad infestation is cleared it may keep it at bay. val

we find Virkon is great for sorting out mites as well as fungal skin problems - try bathing them in a solution of it. It can be used for lots of skin problems with amazing results. It is a trick that many of the guinea pig mummies and daddies know about. Just don't let it get in their eyes

nicolar said:
Advantage does mites too cos got rid of Princess', her fur was missing on her ears and it grew back quickly after they had gone. All I used was Advantage.

Thats really interesting nicolar because it only says fleas & nothing about mites???? Glad they cleared up :D Have you ever seen one under the microscope? funny little devils!!!!! I will ask the Bayer rep next time i see her about Advantage for rabbits only because we haven't heard of it killing mites before :D

Sarah

dyl had another ivormectin jab yesterday and silky today. Ill do their hutches tomorrow hoover like mad and then its another two doses.

Vet couldnt see any yesterday but his fur is definatly patchy and he has dandruff. Second vet today who looked at silkys feet and nose gave her an ivermectin jab too but said mites are microscopic.

I definately saw one on my finger last time. Tiny orange moving pin ******.

I plan to reread this as I really think Dyl needs something to keep them at bay long term.

I just checked my bun today and it looks like he's got fur mites too (tiny orange pin head type things). I haven't spotted them before as he's mainly black, but just had a look on his white bits and they're definitely there. He doesn't seem to have any dry patches or dandruff though - do I have to take him to the vet (it stresses him so much) or does it sound to anyone else like I've caught it quite quickly. I was quite interested in the Listerine idea - how do you apply it? Sorry to be rubbish but I have no experience of mites, it's the first time I've had to deal with it!!

Back