• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Maya to vet tomorrow

JIMGRACIE

Mama Doe
I took Maya into the vets today for a check up. I saw the manager of the practice. I have never had any of my babies treated by him, but seen him when i worked on a farm, a few years back.

Well, anyways Anthony was great with Maya. Maya doesn't like to come out the carrier through the door, and you have to take the whole carrier apart to get him out!! Well, Anthony thought Maya would jump out the box, but not my Maya. He just sat there, while Anthony checked him over, and had a good look at his eyes. Anthony said there wasn't a lot of puss coming from his tear ducts, so there doesn't look like there is an infection.

Anthony also said that its more common in older rabbits, through poor diet the bones of the face push against the tear ducts. However, Maya is only about a year old and is more likely to be a genetic problem.

We decided while he was under for castration, that his tear ducts be flushed and the vet check, his teeth too. He is eating fine, but thought it best to check it all at once. It makes things easier under Anaesthetic. Anthony said if there was any swelling of the tear ducts then Maya can have some antibiotics and we can reacess the problems, again.

It might be that Maya has this problem for the rest of his life, but we can only try flushing his tear ducts and if it doesn't solve any thing at least we can say we tried.

Keep your fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Gracie and animals x

Thanks Red

I sure will let you all know, as son as the phone call comes i'll let you know whats happening.

Gracie and animals x

Sure Maya will be fine !! :D Might be a bit cheesed off that his 'bits' have been stolen :shock: but once he gets home and has some of his fave veggies he'll forget he ever had them. You know men and their food!! :roll: :lol: :lol: Lots of positive vibes winging Maya's way. Let us know how he gets on. Jane and Buns xx

Thats right Jane. Maya loves his food. I filled up his bowl again of mix tonight as he might not get much of a meal in the morning, since he is going in at 8.15am. He has his little lunch box of veg and rabbit mix for when he comes round too.

I feel quite sorry for him as he know hes has his bits, as he has had them for a good year. Poor baby!!

Gracie and animals x

I haven't heard anything yet, from the vets. So hopefully alls well. I am sure they would ring if there is a problem.

I am guessing an emergency might have come in. So Maya went in late to theatre???

I don't know. Maybe the vet nurses won't let him home because hes too cuddley???

Just a worrying mummy!!

Gracie and animals x

It is worrying but Im sure fine - when I took Kami in they said he wouldnt be ready till 3pm but to phone at midday to see how he was- maybe you could do that just to put your mind at rest :D

Back