• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Trying to litter train rabbit HELP!!!

Groovychick1804

Warren Scout
I have been trying to litter train my rabbit that I giot of a friend as an unwanted pet. She is in fine condiotion, healthy etc.

She has saw shavings in her bedding box with hay and she wees in one corner most of the time, I moved her litter tray to that corner, she just nudged it out of the way during the night!!! Cheeky monkey!

I also use Asda cat litter, is this suitable, i have to check if its clay based, whats the problem if it is clay based?

Thanks

Hi, could you try putting a brick in it to weigh it down? that way she cant move it! :lol: I have also put a few big pebbles around my harveys tray so if he did decide to go around it he cant!

hi

rabbits tend to nibble while they toilet, and clay based litter kills them as it totally blocks them up - So wood or paper based cat litter is best - and a good bundle of nice fresh hay will make her sit in there to eat and poop - if you put hay in her 'bed' then she will use it as a toilet I'm afraid :roll:

I use a nice wood pellet one as it seems to work best and isnt scented etc yuck. Try starting with a corner tray and putting (this is yuck) a fair number of her poos and esp wee stained litter in the tray to make it smell toilety. Dont be fanatically hygienic until she learns to associate the smell of your intended litter with her toilet and then say change half ish. As the others suggest they seem to like to much hay and poop simultaneously so I put a bunch of hay near or at one end. You could raise the level in the rest of the cage so the tray is less obvious and then gradually lower it eg thick sawdust or card or something. When they get the drift and it wont take long (a week at most) then try a bigger tray.

Back