• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What breed are my buns - PICTURES

nreal_hill

Warren Scout
Hi,

I have a rought idea what breed my buns are but following a discussion I had earlier about one of them a little 'porker' I wanted to check their weights.

Tilly.JPG

This is little Tilly - shes an English cross - she's about 2.2kg

Then ...

PiningForTheFields.jpg

From left to right there's Sweep whose a small lop - 1.55kg, then floppy the biggest bunny a lop cross - 2.8kg and then Smudge at the front whose an English Spot. She's the one who seems to always be a bit plump and she weighs 2.85kg.

I know the 2 girls are English cross and English spot but what type of lops are the boys. Also (if i've read correctly) 2.85 isn't exceptionally heavy for an English Bunny so why does she 'look' s plump?

Thanks for having a glance!

Nick.

It looks like Tilly is the closest to an English spot, but she lacks the stripe down her back.

Sweep looks like a mini-lop and the size is about right.

Smudge isn't an English spot at all, but there may be a bit in there I suppose. There is another breed with those eye circles but I can't remember what it is :roll:

Floppy looks like he is a harlequin but couldn't say what breed.

Merlin in the corner of my sig was an English Spot. The mask, eye circles, black ears, spots on sides and stripe down the back are the markings. He was 2.3 kg but was very thin as he had snuffles and was never quite well.

Blimey Smudge isn't an English Spot :shock: She has the stripe and everything. That was the one bunny we were quite sure on (sorry - or had people tell us she was an English Spot). Hmmmm wonder what she is then, and whether 2.85kg is heavy for one . :lol: :lol: :lol: she could be a little 'porker' afterall.

Actually I have to stop calling her that or my wife gets cheesed off :p

nreal_hill said:
Blimey Smudge isn't an English Spot :shock: She has the stripe and everything. That was the one bunny we were quite sure on (sorry - or had people tell us she was an English Spot). Hmmmm wonder what she is then, and whether 2.85kg is heavy for one . :lol: :lol: :lol: she could be a little 'porker' afterall.

maybe she is a cross breed her stripe doesnt look that prodomimant, i have quite a few bunnies like this most small one quite big (he was supposed to be a papillon but i dont think he is he is just cross something... but then i dont eally care what they are all all they are is MINE!!

hi

I don't think she looks fat - her head looks too small for her body but her body looks big boned (she'll love me for saying that!) The rabbits in my sig are all mongrels - the gold lop is the mother of all of them except the 2 wild coloured ones, Benny and Tia.

I don't know what the dad looked like but the girls are a real picknmix of colours - all gorgeous I think - and not a lop like mum in sight!

Yeah she doesn't run like a porke..... I mean 'big boned' bunny she runs very very fast all over the place. Bless her she just likes her grub (who doesn't). is 2.85Kg too heavy?? Floppy's 2.8 but he's a larger bunny.

I still find it hilarious that the feather weight Sweep gives Floppy (a bunny twice his weight nearly) a right royal kicking (until I split them up obviously - that would be just cruel :roll: ).

They all look like cross breds to me :) Though Sweep could be a mini lop.

Even pet bunnies that closely resemble official breeds won't necessarily meet the official breed weights. Even if they fall within them those weights are a guide for judging show bunnies and usually have range - e.g. English between 2.72-3.62 kg (6 -8lb). A rabbit whose ideal wight is 2.72kg is going to be very overweight at 3.6kg though!

So, their not much help for deciding whether your bun is plump or not :) A vet can tell you - they'll be able to give you the weight you're bun should be which is handy as you can then monitor it using a pair of scales. If you vet has weighed your rabbit in the past you can phone them and they'll give you the weight from the records.

It's difficult to say from the pictures because they can sit funny and look really plump and also if they have really thick coats that can give a false impression. Tilly certainly looks fine but Smudge could possibly be a little plump - looks like she has a bit of a roll going on there at the back?

What and how much are you feeding them? :D

Tam

I'm feeding them SS (just switched them to this from Supa Rabbit Excel), 100g per pair each evening and as much hay as they can eat. Also grass when they go out for an evening run!!

You're right Tilly definitely isn't over-weight and too be frank Sweep hardly weighs anything and Floppy is quite a large bunny - but he's lean. It's just Smudge who seems a tad plump, and it's something that came on over the summer very slowly. Bless her as I said earlier she just lieks her food.

What you're feeding sounds fine :) I feed the same but stick the dry food in a treatball - that way they have to do some exercise for their dinner. It also stop one of the sticking their head in the bowl and eating enough for two :lol:

nreal_hill said:

I can't see the stripe in the pic :? Or maybe I have them mixed up. I thought Smudge was the one without the mask (black nose). Her eye circles look thinner than an English spot to me - there is a fancy breed whose circles look like that that I can never remember :oops:

One way to tell if a rabbit is too fat is to look at the proportion of the head to the body. If their head looks small they could well be overweight - although does have more delicate heads than bucks to begin with so take that into account.

Sorry it's not a great picture of Smudge :oops: . Her stripe is hidden and she's got her eyes closed. Try this

OtherBestMates.JPG

not much better face wise but you can see her markings.

This is the most recent picture I have of her. :lol: :lol: :lol: I love the way she lies with her feet sticking out! Actually she doesn't look remotely plump in this photo at all, so she's making me out to be telling porkie pies. :shock:

The stripe on an English spot goes all the way along the spine and has a herringbone pattern to it - Merlin's wasn't quite right, which is why the breeder rejected him. :roll: My beautiful spotty boy.

So she still doesn't qualify - but she is beautiful :D And she doesn't look the least bit fat in that pic :lol:

She'll be very happy to hear that :lol: :lol: :lol:

Must admit I don't care what breeds they were exactly I just wanted to have a rough idea just out of curiousity and because I wanted to check their weights.

Frankly they're all lovely (even Sweep who doesn't like me (and shows it by attacking me) :) Ungrateful swine :lol: ).

Cheers,

Nick.

Your right it dosent matter at all. If there is anyone rearly interrested in the different breeds and what they look like and weights and things there is a book that you can get. Its tenicaly for breeders that show but may be interresting for rabbit lovers. It can be ordered from the BRC and was about £24 when i got mine [ may have gone up a little bit]. Its a loose page book with rings to hold the pages it has a photo of the breed as it should look and then pages telling you the correct weight, the different colours that they come in, a disscription of the colours and lists the important breed standard points. Its called THE BREED STANDARDS. val

Back