• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

All together or not?

dogmaddebbie

Young Bun
Hiya,

I have posted before about wanting a French Lop. A lady I know has an orange & white one available in the next few days, he sounds lovely.

However I have no accomodation sorted for one yet and I was wondering if it would be OK to house him in the same shed as my other two female rabbits. They would of course be kept seperated but I was wondering if the smell/sight/sound would cause distress to either of them.

I am looking to order either a dog kennel/run or a playhouse but they seem to take about 3 weeks for delivery.

I am also unsure about keeping a rabbit on his own as I have always kept them in pairs, but I really want a male one. I prefer to see them kept in pairs so they have each other for company. What do you think?

Cheers

would the lady not hold him for a month untill you are all set up :?: if the frenchie is not neutered then I think this may cause problems from the scent of the females :? are your females speyed debbie :?:

I should imagine if I gave her a deposit then she would hold him for me.

The female buns are not speyed and are approx. 5yr old. Their welfare obviously must come first so if there would be a problem I will either have to wait for the next one to become available or hurry up and sort out accomodation.

Is it cruel to keep a male bunny on his own? What are the alternatives?

I would imagine that 2 unspayed females would most likely fight with each other at the scent of a male nearby, especially an unneutered one. I suspect the reverse is also true - an entire male would get extremely frustrated at the smell of some lovely girlies that he can't get to! I wouldn't put him anywhere near them.

In the longer term, I would get him neutered and get him a friend of his own, or try and bond him with the two of them, although I'm not sure how easy that would be at their age.

If it looks like you can't get ready in time for this one, have you had a look here: http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sear...nt&breed=large+lop&County=%&Submit=++Search++

There are several frenchies available for rehoming, and some of them may already be neutered and ready for pairing up with a partner.

hi

my female rabbits fight quite nastily if they get anywhere near my neutered male, so an unneutered male would probs send them into orbit :lol:

If I was you I'd get a 4' dog crate and keep him in the house for now, especially if he's a baby - if he has human company to bond to, he won't need other rabbits as much :)

Would it be OK to get two male rabbits at once, as long as you got them neutered as soon as allowed?

I do work full time and do not like the thought of a rabbit being on his own. Or would you be better with male/female and then getting one done.

Also can French Lops live only with their own breed or could you keep them with an average size bunny! My friend has one with a guinea pig, isn't this just asking for an accident to happen, or is it OK as French Lops are more docile?

Sorry for all the questions? Can anyone recommmend a good French Lop book?

Hiya,

Getting two male rabbits (litter mates) and getting them castrated is more of a risk than pairing a male - female. Two males may be fine but it's also not that unusual for them to fall out (even with neutering) and then have to be kept apart.

Have you thought about adopting an already neutered pair? That way you wouldn't have to worry about bonding them or one being alone.

French lops can be kept with different breeds, though it would be better to avoid the smaller breeds like Netherlands. Rabbits shouldn't be kept with guineapigs - as you say... an accident waiting to happen.

Tam

Back