• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rex Owners

Denny

Mama Doe
can I just ask whats the best way to keep a rex, its just that I read some having trouble with sore hocks and others have no problems being housed in hutches with hay and straw :? :? do Belgium hares not have the same sort of problems as I would of thought they too would be lacking the fur padding considering there structure :? :?

I think this could be an important topic for any would be potential rex owner as there does'nt seem to be much info on how to keep them etc :? :?

I would be very interested in this Denny. I have a rex coming on Saturday and i was also wondering the best way to keep them X

I agree Phill, there just is'nt much on how to house them etc :? :?

calling all rex owners :wave: and rescues :wave:

Denny,i belive its how there bred,claude has suffered with sore hocks since he was about 14 weeks old it effects his front feet too,his back feet are completly bald and very pink,he has caught them a few times but after stopping the blood and bathing them he is fine again for this reason he doesnt go on hard ground,Lilac has pink feet but there not as bad as claudes and shadow doesnt suffer at all her feet are well covered.
I think the worse type of flooring for a rex is carpet this causes friction,wheich over time will cause sore hocks
Claude is kept on two layers of thick blanket and vet bed,keeping them on a thick layer of straw if housed in a hutch would prob help.
Rexes suffer with sore hocks because they dont have the guard hairs other rabbits have,i know miffy doesnt have any probs at all she has very fluffy feet!

so is grass ok for them Marie or is it just a general thing that all rex's are likely to suffer with :?: just wondering how they wear their claws down if hard surfices like patio's are not good for the hocks :?

bluebunny said:
Denny,i belive its how there bred,claude has suffered with sore hocks since he was about 14 weeks old it effects his front feet too,his back feet are completly bald and very pink,he has caught them a few times but after stopping the blood and bathing them he is fine again for this reason he doesnt go on hard ground,Lilac has pink feet but there not as bad as claudes and shadow doesnt suffer at all her feet are well covered.
I think the worse type of flooring for a rex is carpet this causes friction,wheich over time will cause sore hocks
Claude is kept on two layers of thick blanket and vet bed,keeping them on a thick layer of straw if housed in a hutch would prob help.
Rexes suffer with sore hocks because they dont have the guard hairs other rabbits have,i know miffy doesnt have any probs at all she has very fluffy feet!

are they ok on lino and grass marie? i have always wanted a rex but i have solid wood floor indorrs or lino in sheds!

Mmm This could pose a problem as the run Bootz will be going in to has slabs on the floor???

Denny said:
so is grass ok for them Marie or is it just a general thing that all rex's are likely to suffer with :?: just wondering how they wear their claws down if hard surfices like patio's are not good for the hocks :?
Yes grass is ok,if your not claude :lol: he cant go on grass as he gets bloat! so none of mine go out on grass,yes id say most rexes will suffer with it even if only a little,nails are cut every 3 weeks yes they grow that fast!

bunnylove said:
bluebunny said:

are they ok on lino and grass marie? i have always wanted a rex but i have solid wood floor indorrs or lino in sheds!
They would need some kind of bedding such as vet bed again just wooden floors or lino is a hard surface and can cause problems

Phill said:
Mmm This could pose a problem as the run Bootz will be going in to has slabs on the floor???
Depends as i say shadows hocks are well covered she can go on any surface,i could never put claude on slabs within mins he would be bleeding,you will have to check her feet when you get her

bunnylove said:
Phill said:

how about soft sand marie/phil will that be ok for bootz

Phill could always get some taylor made doc martens for Bootz :wink: :lol: :lol:

sorry another question :oops: considering their dainty structure legs, are they suseptable to breakages or anything like that due to jumping etc :?:

MMM i may have to rearrange the shed again! At least i can put blankets down in there for her!

I think it very much depends on the rabbit. We have had quite a few rex rabbits in the family. Out of my sadly missed Molly and Hamish only Hamish had sore hocks. I carpeted there hutch and although they stayed pink they greatly improved. The hutch was three storey so I had carpet on two layers then lots of hay stray strawdust on the bottom.

My mum has had two rexes which have had no problem with there feet. They are very lucky bunnies living in a luxary annex outside the back door and being able to hop in the cat flap to the utility room when ever they like. They have vet bed, carpet straw in the hutch which never gets shut. So they spend loads of time onthe concrete outside or on the tiles in the utility room. Or on woodfloor in the house.

My new little dalmation rex who is only 3 months old is already showing a little bit of a pink sore hock.

I use calendure ointment on them as I feel if they are going to lick it of it must be better than an anitbotic ointment that I'm not sure whats in it.

bluebunny said:
Phill said:
Depends as i say shadows hocks are well covered she can go on any surface,i could never put claude on slabs within mins he would be bleeding,you will have to check her feet when you get her

so they are not good on carpet or solid wood floor or lino or slabs, tell me marie how does claude excerise! :shock: :? i couldnt cover the house in vet bad its more expensive per meter that carpet! :lol: :lol:

Denny said:
bunnylove said:
Phill said:

how about soft sand marie/phil will that be ok for bootz

Phill could always get some taylor made doc martens for Bootz :wink: :lol: :lol:

sorry another question :oops: considering their dainty structure legs, are they suseptable to breakages or anything like that due to jumping etc :?:
Dainty????? all my rexes are well built :) there quite solid bunnies

Beau does sometimes get slightly sore hocks - but I think they have hardenend as he gets older. I keep his nails as short as possible as longer nails seem to affect the angle his hocks sit at. We have lino in the shed, there is a hutch inside the shed that is lined with newspaper and a thick layer of russell rabbit bedding - he spent alot of time in the garden in the summer with no ill effect.

bunnylove said:
bluebunny said:
Phill said:

so they are not good on carpet or solid wood floor or lino or slabs, tell me marie how does claude excerise! :shock: :? i couldnt cover the house in vet bad its more expensive per meter that carpet! :lol: :lol:
Lol :lol:
In the house we have a very thick rug on the floor,he is fine on that as its not harsh very soft,he has a very big puppy pen which he lives in,as i said lined with blankets and vet bed,and in the summer he goes out on the patio but again has to have blankets or vet bed down!

bluebunny said:
bunnylove said:
bluebunny said:
Phill said:

Lol :lol:
In the house we have a very thick rug on the floor,he is fine on that as its not harsh very soft,he has a very big puppy pen which he lives in,as i said lined with blankets and vet bed,and in the summer he goes out on the patio but again has to have blankets or vet bed down!

:D :D :D :D

Towsbuns said:
Beau does sometimes get slightly sore hocks - but I think they have hardenend as he gets older. I keep his nails as short as possible as longer nails seem to affect the angle his hocks sit at. We have lino in the shed, there is a hutch inside the shed that is lined with newspaper and a thick layer of russell rabbit bedding - he spent alot of time in the garden in the summer with no ill effect.

does exercise not wear the nails down then Julie :?: :?: how often do you cut Beau's nails :?:

Back