• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hungry Bunnies

nreal_hill

Warren Scout
Hi all,

Long time no post as peace reigns with all buns at the moment (and I never feel 'expert' enough to comment on most of the posts on here).
I have a one quick question though. I give each pair of buns 100g of Science Selective each evening and unlimited Timothy hay. I know rabbits use food for heat in the winter, but lately when I go to feed them they stick their heads in the bowl before I've finished pouring out the food meaning most of it bounces of their heads :lol: :lol: By the morning (when i top up their hay) all the food is gone, so this morning I gave them an extra half a cup each (50-60g) and they all leapt on it again? Are they just greedy, love SS or am I not feeding them enough at the mo?

I recently switched to SS and was rationing as one of the girls got a little 'portly' (that's the word the vet used anyway :), she's not fat just a little chunky round her bottom half. Surely a little fat this time of year is a good thing?

Cheers,

Nick.

Hi, you don't mention if your buns are adult buns or babies.

A little extra fat at this year will help to keep them a bit warmer, however you also need to consider the longer term affects of being heavier than you are designed to be. It will put extra pressure strain on the joints and may even mean with some rabbits that they get dirty bottoms and / or become unable to clean themselves. This may also put extra strain on the vascular system if fatty / calcium deposits are laid down in the heart and blood vessels.

If your buns are adult I would give them extra hay to eat which will encourage them to keep their teeth and gastric system in tip top condition if they are still hungry after eating their pellets, if they are babies then giving them additional until they are fully grown will do no harm.

Janice

I think as long as they have plenty of hay they should be fine! Jack is always trying to eat his food before I've even poured it, he even binkies when I go near the shelf the food's on!! But... I think there was a post a while ago about feeding more during the winter, I'll see if I can find it...

I started giving Jack more as he was acting as if he hadn't eaten for weeks every time I fed him, but last time I was at the vet he said he was getting fat so I've cut down again. I think he must just really enjoy his pellets!!
To slow him down a bit so he doesn't eat them all in 5 minutes, I put half in his bowl and mix the other half with his hay so he has to search for them, and fills up on more hay while he's foraging.

Maybe its just a sign they're enjoying the SS more than their previous food!

Sorry I didn't mention they're adult rabbits (1-2 years).

She isn't fat 'fat' yet (if you know what I mean) and she still very active just looking a little plump around the hind quarters.

Right as much hay as they can eat it is then and I'll just stick to their 100g per pair in the evening then.

Thanks for the speedy replies!!

As Kate said, hiding the pellets can be good. Squidgy gets his in a treat ball, so it takes him longer to eat them. Mind you, his little face when it's empty... :? :lol:

Lindsey says
So does unlimited hay really mean unlimited - mine eat about 5 bowls full each a day - is that ok ?

Yes unlimited means as much hay as they can possibly eat. Ideally 80% of a rabbits diet should be hay. 5 bowl fulls is pretty good, however if you can get them to eat more of any type of hay or grass the better it is for them.

Janice

Five bowls of hay a day, I'm so jealous, my bunny won't touch the stuff! Bought him some orchard grass hay to tempt him, but no joy so donated it to my nephew's bunny who would have eaten the whole pack in one go given the chance and that was after eating grass all day in the garden!

hi

I'm giving my outside bunnies a bit more pellets now it's so cold - it's obvious they will be burning more calories keeping warm, the same as we are - whilst you don't want them to put weight on you do want them to have enough to burn to keep warm - I've been giving Benny a desertspoon of porridge oats made up with boiling water too as he's on his own in a hutch - he's perked up a lot since I started that routine :)

All our buns must be starving then because as soon as they see the SS they are like rabbits possesed. Hugs will stick his head in the bowl and not move and ends up wearing most of it :shock: :lol:

:lol: :lol: Mine too, Harry does all those cute little head-flick binky things when he sees me head towards the SS bag!

Back