• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tao....My bunny that hurt her back....

jyoti

New Kit
I really hope someone can give me some advice within the next hour, as that's when the vet closes. I just got off the phone with the vet, and this is what she said about Tao:

She said there's been no improvements, her condition has gotten worse. She won't eat, and can no longer urinate on her own. The vet said that there is no chance to her getting back to normal again, but we could go over some home care treatments for her. She said though, that she thinks the best thing is to have my bunny put to sleep....Which I REALLY don't want to do, but she said that it is difficult to tell how much pain Tao is in. I don't want to keep Tao around if she is in pain....But I don't want to have her euthanized without good reason.

If anyone could give me some quick advice I would greatly appreciate it...

Im so sorry to hear that . I would take the vets advise if he dosent know how much pain there is and theres no chance of recovery then theres no choice. val :(

Hiya,

You don't have to make a decision now. If you're not comfortable with having her put to sleep don't, you can always change you mind in a few days time.

Suggest you vet gives her painkillers - metacam is a painkiller & anti-inflamitory. It's not licenced for use in rabbits but is very widely used and your vet can perscribe it for rabbits - though sometimes you have to sign a concent form.

If she's injured her spine in may take several weeks to see a difference if it is going to improve. If you only found her yesterday it would certainly be worth giving her more time.

Has she been on an antibiotic? That can put them off their food. Ask for a probiotic and gut stimulant. You could also ask if they sell sacets of 'recovery' powder - thats powered rabbit food that you mix with water and syringe feed. Just being in the strange environment at the vets may be enough to put her off her food - suggest you try her at home - you may find she perks up and starts eating.

It's possible she might not recover but if you want to give it ago we'll do our best to support you and atleast you'll know you tried :)

Best wishes,
Tamsin

Hi there - I just want to echo what Tam already said.

This is not a decision you need to make right now - go with your instincts, and we will all support you. I would certainly try some home therapy and see how bunster went with that.
xx

Do what YOU want. The vet can only advise, but you know your bunny best. My little Nougat had flystike, and was in an awful mess, but she wanted to fight - I could see it in her eyes. I also knew when she'd had enough (bless her - binky free Nougat).
Take your time to think it through, talk to different people about it. Maybe you could ask another vet for a second opinion.
Thinking of you at what must be a difficult time.

I would also certainly agree with what Tamsin has said, you can take her home and then make your decision later when and if you feel that the time is right.

You mention that Tao is unable to urinate, I have never had to express a rabbits bladder to help it empty it, however there is at least one person on here who routinely has to do that for her bun, do ask your vet to demonstrate this to you.

Perhaps ask if Tao can be given a steroid injection which may help with any swelling of the spinal cord if they are thinking that this is a spinal cord injury.

We are all thinking with you
Janice

Back