• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cold causing stiffness?

nicolar

Mama Doe
Hi guys

Pippa my 6 and a half year old bunster is pretty agile and was coping well until the cold weather started! She has had a rough summer and nearly died during her op, was very thin + weak but have got her weight up and she is looking pretty good. I'm worried that the cold is causing her to be a bit stiff. Today when Mum let her out she tried to jump onto the wall (does this everyday) but she didn't make it :( I put this down to her being bit stiff after waking up and obviously it's rather chilly at the mo! What does everybody think?

She seems fine in herself, is sitting upstairs far more but only to be expected in this weather! Munching merrily on her food + hay too. She has loadsa hay + straw plus this evening I moved her Snugglesafe upstairs to where she always sits so she is nice + warm. Do you think I should warm this up morning and evening or just stick to the evening, when it's coldest? Also is there anything I can give her if her joints are a bit stiff, or just keep her snug while we have this blooming cold spell!?

Just to add she had her Myxi jab last Monday, the vet said because her immune system isn't 100% (she has chronic snuffles) she may be a bit under the weather. She was fine all week but over the weekend was sitting more, altho I am putting this down to the cold weather!

Sorry this is so long, just a bit worried!

Nicola x

I should think its a combination of all these things plus her age, poor love. As in people when they get older joints are not as mobile and after sitting for a while it is a bit hard to get them going again. If your an early riser then a bit of warmth while its still cold would help to get the joints warmed up a bit, for the day ahead. val

With how cold the weather has been recently a warm snugglesafe in the morning and evening will certainly do no harm and may certainly actually help your bun.

It sounds like Pippa is not overweight

It might be an idea to talk to your vet about the possibility of using an antinflamatory in the really cold spells and about trying Glucosamine Sulphate which may also help in the production of cartilage to aid joint movement. A pain killer may also bring Pippa some benefit as well.

Janice

Thanks for your help :) Yep I get up at 6.45 most mornings for work so can nip out and pop the Snugglesafe in the microwave. I thought it was probs a combo of everything too, poor little girl!!

Nope she def isn't overweight, I'm having a bit of a hard time getting bit more weight on her, although she isn't doing bad I'd like to see a bit more on her to keep her warmer over the winter!

I'm popping to vets with Princess in next couple of weeks so will chat to the vet then about anything I can give her.

Nicola

I think our cat has been more stiff over the last few day. I keep carrying her down stairs for dinner and she goes quite slowly otherwise. She has codliver oil (which I think I remember someone saying isn't safe for rabbits) and glucosamine which really helps. I'm not sure if glucosamine can be used with bunnies but your vet probably will or can look it up.

Tam

Thanks Tamsin :) Bet your cat just wants to curl up! All the cats at work are staying inside, it's only the brave kittens that venture into their outdoor runs - too cold for the rest!! :)

This is really weird as I was just goin' to post something about cold weather and 'stiff' elderly bunsters!! :D Plus I have really fallen in love with Pippa-Rabbit!! :love: :D Anyways, before I go off into remote waffle, :roll: :roll: what I was going to ask is has any-one used Vegetarian Glucosomine+Chondrin supplements for elderly arthritic buns?? It is used commonly for arthritic dogs, (although not necessarily the veggie version) and humans take it too. Any-one used it..??Is it helpful...?? I LOVE Pippa!! :love: :love: Jane and Bunsxx

Ah Jane, how sweet of you!! :D I do love my Pippa bunster too (though of course I am biased!) She will be very pleased to hear she has a fan - her first human one! (Apart from me). Amy my other rabbit loves her but unfortunately the feeling is not the same back!!!

Anyways I digress! Would def be interested to hear if anything has been used for older buns, as I think she is getting a bit stiff in her older age so anything to help would be great :D

Let me know how ur older buns get on Jane if you do decide to use it.

Nicola

Back