• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Need help with Thomas - please

Jaypot

Mama Doe
Thomas went to the vets last Tuesday with an ear infection - cleaned ears out, put on baytril and ear drops and painkiller - Thursday he had not eaten properly so Sally knocked him out to check the teeth and clean his ears out as well - not much on the teeth at all and some abscess in his right ear. Given Rimadyl and still on baytril. I have been giving him his baytril and metacam daily and he still is not eating properly. We have been syringe feeding him and temtping him with carrot tops and dandylions - some he eats and others he fusses over.
Last night he ate a good deal of his greens and some apple - we thought that was great but the problem is, he has hardly passed any poops. He has been getting metoclopramide and Infacol as well and gentle tummy rubs.
With him eating so well last night we expected some poops at least - none :( Tried tempting him to eat and he took his time but did eat some dandies in the end - he is drinking fine, well, more than usual.
We know that having ear ache can put him off food but the painkiller should have helped him.
He had an appointment at the vets tonight for 5.15pm - Sally was off but Sarah (another good bunny vet) was on - she gave his tummy a feel but could feel no impaction or anything like that - she told John to leave him with her and she would do an x-ray after surgery finished.
John has just been to pick him up and Sarah had done 6 plates of x-rays - each one shows that part of Thomas's bowel is not there :shock: :( There is a tiny pocket of gas in his tum - so the Infacol has been working - then the bowel shows up - stops and then shows up a tiny bit at the end. Sarah has seen this before but only in cats and dogs - she phoned Sally and she explained everything - Sally has not seen this is buns before either so has suggested that there is a definite problem :(
Thomas has had some Vitamin B12, a shot of Buscopan, some Tylan and a morphine based painkiller :(
He is very alert and does not look ill - but there is something going on. We are hoping that due to his lack of eating (yet he ate quite well last night) that that may be the reason that part of the bowel is not showing up.
We are also hoping that the cocktail of drugs that he has been given will stimulate his appetite and take away any ear pain so that he can eat - if there is no change or he goes downhill we are to repeat the drugs tomorrow evening and then have him x-rayed again on Wednesday to see if there is a change in the bowel showing up. He may also need a scan.
Has anyone ever seen this before? We are out of our minds with worry and when John got back with Thomas and told me what had happened I just burst into tears :cry: :cry:
There is no impaction, not a lot of gas and he is not weak or anything - just slightly quieter than usual. He's such a good boy and never complains about anything but we do know that he is quieter than normal.
He came back from the vets and had a good drink - John has just shouted up to me that he has eaten some greens :D Thing is, he can eat but is not producing.
Has anyone ever come across this before or anything similar? If he doesn't improve or start to pass properly then he will need another x-ray, some scans and maybe a small operation to see what is going on.
Sorry the post is so long, am trying to get all the information together that I can.

So sorry to hear poor Thomas isn't well. Have never heard of this but just wanted to know I'm thinking of you and hope it is something simple like it just not showing due to him not eating much.

Love Nicola

Hi Jay

I am not sure but i wondered if perhaps he has a perforation in his bowel and that the waste is gathering elsewhere :?

Also not all blockages show up on x-rays so it could still be that - it could also be that he had gassy pockets whhich make x-rays very difficult to view :?

The other thought I have is that perhaps he may have an inverted colon and part of his bowl has gone into his colon :? :? This is what can happen with people with IBS.

Would your vet be able to do some sort of barium enema or that which would show up his bowel clearly.

Also it could be that the x-ray film is damaged and not giving a clear picture - although it may look ok it may be that the exposure is not right.

Sorry - that is all I can think of at the moment.

However please give Thomas a big snuggle and a kiss from everyone here.

lol Pam

im really sorry to hear about little thomas jay and john.

i also thought that he may have a perforation in his bowel, which i have seen happen in bunnies before where the waste has gathered elsewhere.

i really hope he is ok, and pulls through.

sophie

Thinking of you, hoping you can find out the problem with Thomas and that it can be sorted.

Is there still an infection in his ear? I would be inclined to switch antibiotics as baytril alone can sometimes make them go off their food. I would try either engemycin or duphapen. I would also try using Sea legs tablets. Give 1/4 tablet daily as this will help with any sickness he may be feeling as a result of his ear infection. Did the vet x-ray his head? might be worth doing this to see how far the infection goes and if there are any other problems going on there.

Cheryl

Forgot to mention apparantly radish leaves are supposed to be very good for enticing sick bunnies to eat again :D

So sorry to hear about Thomas. Every time I have tried getting buns to start eating I have mashed up banana and mixed it up real good with their normal veggies. Just a little banana can really get them going!

Hope Thomas feels better soon.

sophiemarmion said:
i also thought that he may have a perforation in his bowel, which i have seen happen in bunnies before where the waste has gathered elsewhere.

if it is a perforation then it should show up on the x-ray as the gas from the bowel is then visible where it shouldnt be (if you see what I mean). We have the same thing happen with our babies at work sometimes, but it is relatively easy to spot a perforation so if it was that I think they would know already :?

it could be that the bowel has gone into spasm, and so clamped shut in places, the buscopan should help that I would think. If he is eating and drinking then he can't be feeling too bad, and I should think it will settle with your tender loving care Jay :D

love to the little wee chap, and chin up Jay :D

Really sorry to hear about your bun. I know what a worry they can be. About a month ago my house bun had not eaten over night. I tempted him during the day but he ate very little and had not pooed. By the evening I was really worried as usually he is greedy, I popped him to the vets at six and she gave him a jab to try and move his gut and said he was a little windy. During the evening he went down fast and thought he was going to die so phoned the emergency vet at eleven. She gave him painkiller and baytril and admitted him and put him on a drip. The following day she gave him an anaesthetic and examined his back teeth as she thought that may be the problem. It was not and the poor little bun halucinated badly coming round and went beserk. Then the next day he was not eating still, so i took some parsley and watercress over to him and gave him a cuddle and he started to eat. Then the following day they said they had given him too much and he had the runs. So I visited him again that night and took him some of his own hay. The following day I said i really wanted him home and they agreed as they said he was getting stressed being confined as he was used to space. He got home our dog licked him and he snuggled up to him and has been fine since. The cost was £238 but to get him home was really great, I could not have been more pleased. Our home was complete again with bun back.I really hope your bun is soon better. Will be thinking of you. Pam

I agree with Tupperwarequeen that if the bowel had become perforated then you would see air and possibly a fluid level in the peritoneal cavity.

I do hope that Thomas is improving by now, with the love and care you both give all your buns, he has the best chance he will have anywhere.

Janice

Back