• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My bunny..

*Red*

Mama Doe
It's only since I've been on here today that I've started to question anything that my bunny does.. LOL!
But now reading about other people's has really got me thinking.

I love him to bits I really do, and as I've said in my other post, I'm bringing him indoors to make sure I'm looking after him as I should be (and the fact it's so so cold outside)

He's always been on his own since I've had him. My (now ex) boyfriend brought him for me two Octobers ago after my Boxer dog was put down in July and I was really pining for something. I'm an only child you see and had animals all my life. My mum rescued a little yorkie cross a couple of months after our Boxer had gone (I've nicknamed her Ratfink - she's so tiny!) and I didn't bond with her at all. Hence Bramble (my bunny). There was never any question of him buying me two, so it's just been him.

Now he's never been particularly affectionate, maybe because I'd never had a rabbit before and wasn't doing all the things I should be, or maybe because that's just him.
He bonded well with the dog thou until they stopped mixing (my other post) because we rescued another who's not as bunny friendly as I hoped.

He's been circumcised, he had to be, as he went through the "teen" stage of being rebellious and nibbling everything, but now he's really placid.

But he's still really distant, if that's the right word, with me. He'll sit on my lap if I put him there, but he'll get bored and hop off somewhere. He doesn't come up to me when he's out and trying to catch him to put him back is a complete nightmare!

Could he be possibly craving another little bunny friend? Or what can I do to make him more fond of me?

Thanks for any advice!

Sarah x

Hiya,

Bunny have different personalities so how social they are varies quite abit. Alot of bunnies aren't lap rabbit - they don't like being picked up and sitting still on a lap isn't a favourite for quite a few.

If you want to make friends you need to get down to their level - try lying on the floor read a magazine - the russle of paper and a funny looking bunny (person) is usually enough to spark a rabbits curiosity.

Noserubs are a favourite with some rabbits - stroke the head from the top of the nose up to the ears - some bunnies will rest their chins on the floor and close their eyes and sit for ages like this - others will give you a funny look and hop away :lol: Again sit on the floor with them to do it don't pick them up.

With him inside you'll have lots of opportunity to make friends (without losing fingers to frost bite).

Alot of bunnies with give you the run around at bed time - they're not daft they know when it's time to go back and they don't want to. Try timing it so you feed him just after he goes back to bed - that way he gets good associations rather than just it's time to get shut in again :)

Having a friend won't neccesarily make your bunnies more friendly with you but often it makes them more active - they spend more time running around and interacting with each other than a single rabbit. If you do get another bunny a female would be best. If you get one used to people then she may help your bun become braver when it comes to people.

Tam

well food it always a good way :D - have you tried sitting in on the floor with your bun and holding out a tasty treat for him. That way he will associate being with you with nice things :D

Some bunnies are more sociable than others just like some like being picked up while others hate it - my bunny Twinkle loves being carried like a baby and would snuggle into you for hours on end - but then she HATES other rabbits with a passion :roll: Aggie on the other hand adores all bunnies but trying to pick her up is a nightmare and even once she is up you will get a minute to snuggle her then she wants down.

The fact that your bunny is neutered will make any bonding easier (if you decide to get him a pal) - however the best bet would be to let him choose his own friend as not all rabbits like each other and, like us, they have their own preferances.

Do you have a rescue near to you - where do you stay cause I am sure that someone near to you would help. :D Most rescues would allow you to take your wee man for a visit and let him choose who he likes best :D

I am sure your bunny loves you so don't worry.

lol Pam

hi sarah,

i think it would be benefical for your boy bun to be bonded with another rabbit as they do love the company, especially when you are not there during the day to play with him.

if you do decide to get him a girlfriend, i would strongly advise going to a rescue as there are so many unwanted bunnies out there looking for nice new homes. a rescue bun would probably already be neutered, and the rescue could help you with the bonding.

good luck, whatever you decide :D

sophie

Thanks for your advice.. I'm going to arm myself with magazines and treats tonight for an evening on the floor and see what happens! :D
I know every bunny is different.. I guess I just had it in my head that I wanted him to be of the affectionate kind.. maybe he's just not.

I'll keep trying.. and maybe after Christmas I may rescue him a little friend.
I bet there's loads of older bunnies (like most animals) chucked out at Christmas to make room for younger, cuter baby versions :( that people don't seem to realise will not stay that size forever. :roll:

Back